Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Looking for a full to do list for a decent service- and some suppliers of sundries such as o-rings, washers, gaskets, nuts and bolts etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I've actually got a Haynes manual and a Honda manual and they tell you what they do but I need more tailored help for my motor from someone with experience. I'm also worried about taking things apart because I think I'll need replacement o-rings and gaskets and nuts and bolts- but they don't always tell you this! I'll need to pre-order them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any advice for suppliers and what parts I'll need would help. Where could I find exploded diagrams etc? Even Haynes doesn't go into that much detail so you don't know what you need till you've taken it apart!

·
Registered
42 Posts
im going to service my vti soon, its going to be a major service, some parts im just changing for peace of mind.

Distrubutor cap
rotor arm
air filter
fuel filter
oil filter
oil
spark plugs
spark plug leads
carb cleaner to clean out the whole intake manifold

iv been quoted £80 inc vat for the parts. would probly take a few hours.
if you live in lancashire then theres a company called BBC which supplies parts to the trade and public

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already cleaned and re-gapped the plugs, stripped and cleaned the distributor (it was spotless- must be almost brand new) and will order a replacement air filter. What are you doing with the intake manifold? I bought some carb cleaner spray last week.
Is it easy to access the oil filter and then swap it out if I only have a chain wrench and two axle stands? What about a flush and change of the oil and coolant? What parts would I need for the job? I'm concerned about the performance of the various air-fuel mix components (throttle body, injectors, IAC valve) and would like to give them a service. What parts would I need for them and where do I get them? I've never had to replace seals before.
I also want to remove the blower control panel on the dash and clean off the contacts due to a light fault, is brake cleaner a suitable alternative to contact cleaner?

·
Registered
42 Posts
clean the inlet manifold with carb cleaner. you dont really need axel stands to change the oil. i just jacked up one wheel on my punto to change oil and filter. you can clean the injectors using injector cleaner which can be added next time you go fill up for fuel. when you clean your intake manifold out with carb cleaner it will also clean the throttle body and icv valve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I need to buy a bottle each of additive-type injector and carb cleaner? The stuff I have is spray-on like WD40. Is the additive type as good as a strip down and manual clean? What about the electrical contact cleaner?
Thanks by the way!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i do all the work on my car with 2 axle stands! its a pain with the independent suspension as there isnt really a proper place to put them, other than underneath the bottom arm, next to the wheel! works though.

2 things i want to do before winter starts:
gearbox oil
engine coolant.
i do a 6k mile oil and filter change, but i do enough miles for this to happen 4 times a year!

oil filter is in an okay place, i use a belt socket end tool for oil filter. its like a thin seatbelt like material but it grips on as it winds around the socket. once its loose it slides off really well before it starts dribbling on ur head then i ram the bowl underneath as i unscrew!

i had the service schedule somewhere, but not with me now. i'm sure the gearbox oil is due, and its been 10 years with the same coolant. but im sure i can just get away with topping that up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts