Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
to everyone :D

sorry too start off with a tech question but im hoping you knowlegeable people can help

I have a 1991 1.6i -16 and feel that the top gear ratio is far too low.

It will happily accellerate up one of the steepest hills near to me ( Telegraph Hill ) which suggests that it would easily take a higher ratio and therefore improve fuel consumption. Is there a way for me to find out what the final drive ratio should be in order to confirm if I have a standard box or whether someone at some time in the past has changed it?

4200 RPM in top does about 80MPH. Is this correct?

Also what other boxes will go straight in without serious mods to do the job?

The other question is to do with the steering rack...........which is NOT Powered...........strange to find this considering that my old 1.4 16v did have a power steering box. What box and associated parts fit the 1.6i, and was there ever a power steering option?

Cheers. Bob.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome pal :D

every honda that iv had as always rev'd high crap i know but i don't do a low reving box. Sorry carn't help more pal

marc

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Hello & welcome mate, came down Telegraph Hill this morning (small world), box should be coded on the bell housing to check the ratios and fitment, also depends on wheel, tyre sizes etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts