Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i dont know where to begin, i was so excited to but my first honda civic 2011 1.8 ivtec 50k mileage UK model and on the first day i have already had an issue.

whenever i put the gear stick into 3rd gear and accelerate it starts to twitch almost like it wants to come out of gear. This doesnt disturb the drive so far, but i am really worried about this twitch of gear stick as i have never heard of it.

I bought my car from a far away dealer who gave me a discount so i am not sure if they will try to help me. I am already finanically struggling and bought he car to help me start work but now so depressed and miserable on what should have been a happy day. Sorry for the rant

please can you kindly advise me on the problem or if u experienced anything similar please?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi everyone, i dont know where to begin, i was so excited to but my first honda civic 2011 1.8 ivtec 50k mileage UK model and on the first day i have already had an issue.

whenever i put the gear stick into 3rd gear and accelerate it starts to twitch almost like it wants to come out of gear. This doesnt disturb the drive so far, but i am really worried about this twitch of gear stick as i have never heard of it.

I bought my car from a far away dealer who gave me a discount so i am not sure if they will try to help me. I am already finanically struggling and bought he car to help me start work but now so depressed and miserable on what should have been a happy day. Sorry for the rant

please can you kindly advise me on the problem or if u experienced anything similar please?
If it was me I'd be going through the following:
1) Try accelerating hard in 1st and second to see if the problem happens there too
2) Check the engine mounts are OK - including the torque rod
3) Check the gearbox fluid level - and check around the drain and filler plugs for any signs of leakage.
4) Check the linkages and cable

You may find an engine mount has cracked, perished or broken - that's the most common cause for this sort of thing and usually the easiest to diagnose. Checking the gearbox oil comes next and last the linkages and cables - which invovles the most work. Hopefully you'll resolve the problem before you get to 4) above.

Haynes says the gearbox oil should be changed at 75,000.

If you cannot replicate the fault in another gear, all the engine mounts are sound and the gearbox oil is at the right level, you may have a gearbox bearing on the way out.

Good luck in the new job and hope you can solve this at low cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts