Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Buying my first civic in the next few weeks.

looking at a late MB6 Vti with around 40-60k on the clock.

From what i have read up on they seem pretty solid but are there any major things to look out for on them?

Its all very well looking at parkers etc but people who live with a car everyday are gonna know more niggles etc to watch out for.

Can't believe how cheap they are to tune as well !

Anyone know if the cheap £99 manifolds off ebay are ok?

claim 8-16 bhp but if i got 5-6 bhp i'd be well happy for that money !

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
351 Posts
rear arches for rust . all bushes look for cracking in the rubber. exhaust system . make sure it dont sound like a old ford .
check the condition of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Well £99 Manifold or a £999 will do the exact same thing, Remember, just because it is cheep does'nt mean it is any good. cheep manifolds will normaly be copy's of more expensive manifold. In this respect they may be made in the same way as a standard factory manifold. i.e. cast from a copy. If this is the case then you will get little BHP improvements as the same flaws that are on the factory manifold will be on the copy. Also replacing the manifold wont do much if you don't have a complete exhaust system. But if you are going to be buying the manifold with a plan to put in other parts later i.e. High flow cats and sport's exhausts then there will be more of an improvement down the line. Let me know what your idea's are as the size of the exhaust pipe to the size of the engine can have an effect on horsepower gains or loss's.

Cheers,
Chris
1999 Civic Coupe

·
Registered
680 Posts
With mine ive noticed, front fogs lens cracked and fell off, front washer came off(replaced) dinks very easily and scratches easily as paintwork is thin. Paintwork unless gets waxed regularly looks worn(all colours) Exhaust is on its way out with rust, minor rust under the body. Ive been told the calipers are prone to ceasing, radiator gets worn with time. Other than that maintain the engine and it will go forever.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys

Yeah was on about bolting in a decat from "the 'bay" and some kind of exhaust system maybe.

was looking at the skunk2 intakes as well :)

What are the standard manifolds? 4-2-1? the ones i was looking at were these ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-DOHC- ... .m14.l1308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waxing won't be an issue, do that anyway at least once a month.

Will be on a W or X plate but i'll check for rust on the arches.

which bushes specifically tend to go?

Thanks for your help

Russ

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Yo dude,

Yeah the standard manifold is a 4-2-1 system. If i were you I'd forget about that Ebay manifold. It looks to be a 4 into 1. Which is good but for the smoothest airflow and best possible performance gain's I would have to recomend a 4-2-1 manifold as the gas flow will be smoother on the way out resulting in less air flow friction ( = better performance gains). The manifold I'm looking at will cost me a whopping £600!!! I know it sounds a lot but its for an actual racing manifold.

My car has been tweeked for handling firstly, in fact one of the first things i'd recomend you get is brand new brakes. It's all great having lots of power but if it takes you 2 miles to come to a stop it ain't that great anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Well depending on if your car has already got new bigger breaks on it, I'd go for new grooved, drilled or grooved and drilled discs, and new bigger calipers. make sure both disc's and calpers are suitable, try to buy them in a set rather than as separate components. you Can also get a rear drum to disco convertion kit if it does'nt come with rear disc's.
This wont sound like a great "performance" mod, but you'll stop a lot quicker and later than other drivers can. (ie roar up to a junction, and just when it looks like your going to over shoot, you stop dead on the line!!) Good head turner too as people will notice the bigger breaks :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
rear traiilng arm bushes go check all the rubbers round the suspension and arms
its not the part price more the effort it changing them

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Speaking of lip's I have a spare type R front and rear lip for coupe's and 4 door's if anyone is interested???

Give me a shout if anyone is

Cheers,
Chris
1999 Civic Coupe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gibbscp said:
Well depending on if your car has already got new bigger breaks on it, I'd go for new grooved, drilled or grooved and drilled discs, and new bigger calipers. make sure both disc's and calpers are suitable, try to buy them in a set rather than as separate components. you Can also get a rear drum to disco convertion kit if it does'nt come with rear disc's.
This wont sound like a great "performance" mod, but you'll stop a lot quicker and later than other drivers can. (ie roar up to a junction, and just when it looks like your going to over shoot, you stop dead on the line!!) Good head turner too as people will notice the bigger breaks :D

Its a VTi 5 door so should have better brakes/suspension as standard i think

comes with a limited slip diff as standard so would expect the brakes to be half decent

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Aye but even so the standard brakes wont be as good as the new stlye you get on the new type R's for example.

Here's a picture of the type of brakes i have on my car.

Chris
1999 Civic Coupe

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Im sure the mb6 standard brakes are upto the job. They wouldnt give the car 170bhp slip diff and skimp on the brakes. I had a new set fitted when i purchased mine. and mine are fine.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
True, but i prefer to have the none factory fitted brakes. I'm not knocking the factory brakes, but i'd much rather have the stopping power of my brakes than that of the standard brakes, Plus they look shit hot!!! 8-| :p ;)

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Cool, Well give us a shout when you do

1 - 18 of 18 Posts