Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone glad i found this great site in google search,
anyway i dont own a civic yet soo i need some help please, i have no knolege of civics
im looking to turn a civic into a clubman rally car which model do i need? i want a 3door hatch with good power prefer lsd gearbox, i dont want to spend a fortune but say £1500 on a standard car what model would i want to look for ? how much better is a 2.0 over a 1.6 , how reliable are they easy to modify etc thanks in advance

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey and welcome, I'm not hot on the older models but I'm sure the 1.6 Vti's would be your best bet although I could be wrong! lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate so whats the differance between the vti and vtec ? also what models am i looking for eg ek ej etc

·
Registered
680 Posts
The VTEC is the engine. The VTI is the quick one of the bunch(in the days before type R)

These engines came in 1.6 and 1.8 both DOHC. The 3 door is 1.6, 5 door is 1.8. Also 5 door has the added LSD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so im looking for a 3door 1.6 vti or ideally 3door with the engine and box from a 1.8 5door?
what do all the numbers mean ie ek6 ej3 eg8?

Edit:

ive found a 1993 civic 1.6vtec what power is that one ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey mate if you looking at doing a build i would personally go for the eg because of the weight ration
and then slap in a b20 some of these come non vtec so you would have to slap on a dohc vtec head on that and install a oil feed to the block for cooling as this engine does not come with it the b20 that being

to your above question about the eg i take it that the its sohc vtec or just a normal sohc all depends is it stock standard or does it have some goodies on it, :ugeek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sounds like it could get very expensive haa ha and im not familar with any of the honda engines so so would probably buuy all the wrong bits, id be happy with the 1.6 at 160bhp! just dont know what car to search for ek eg lsi etc etc

·
Registered
381 Posts
VTEC-KZN said:
hey mate if you looking at doing a build i would personally go for the eg because of the weight ration
and then slap in a b20 some of these come non VTEC so you would have to slap on a dohc VTEC head on that and install a oil feed to the block for cooling as this engine does not come with it the b20 that being

to your above question about the eg i take it that the its sohc VTEC or just a normal sohc all depends is it stock standard or does it have some goodies on it, :ugeek:
you will need alot more than an oil line to run the B20 block with a B16/18 head, if it is being used for rally then you would NEED a block guard, girdle (preferably 5 point, very expensive) the full B20 vtec conversion kit (oil sandwich plate, oil line, fittings, tap, 54mm reworked head gasket etc) pistons, rods etc and yes it does get very expensive,

if you were to build a RELIABLE B20 to use for rally you will be looking at at least £1800 for the engine alone!

trust me i am building one just now, not for rally but will be driven hard :twisted: and my bill is sitting at around £900 and i havent bought the pistons and rods yet

but by all means VTEC-KZN go ahead and "slap" a b16 head on a b20 block with just an oil line and watch oil piss all over the place if it even turns over

back to the topic for a rally civic you would be best going for either an eg (91-95) or an ek (95-00?) with the B16a6 DOHC VTEC engine, i have seen a few of these cars on rally stages and seem to be a very good base setup to start on ;) but you will struggle to get a uk car with a lsd fitted but i have heard great reviews about the Quaiffe diff ;) and they are not badly priced, if you were to go for a quaiffe diff then i would recommend a gearbox rebuild as the honda boxes are weak and the synchro's go easilly :(

also spend a few hours reading through honda forums etc to find out what does and does not work with these cars, you wont beleive how much you will learn by sitting in front of a computer, the americans get crazy power out of the honda engine and know their stuff so i would recomend you check out http://www.hondaswap.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; loads of information on there

anyway hope this helps and good luck :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts