Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

As the subject says I'm a newbie to this forum, and I'm contemplating buying a 5th gen civic. . . any pointers before I go out a get one?

Matty

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Hay there matty, welcome to the forum. When you say 5th gen civic do you mean hatch, coupe or saloon as different pointer go with different models

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Ahh.... well normal things like, check for rust on the arches as they are quite bad for that. Ermmm.... What size engine you going for 1.3, 1.5 1.6 vti????? Im guessing you might be looking for the 1.5 as they are cheap insurance but still good to mod.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah your pretty much right, looking for either a 1.5 or a 1.6, got several insurance quotes which aren't too bad.
Found a lot of 1.6's with rust on the arches like you said, and i was just wondering weather rust is easy enough to deal with. . . baring in mind that I want to respray at some point.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair play.
I was also wondering weather its worth investing in anti-roll bars, i am right in thinking that these just reduce the cars flexibility?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
mathewp80 said:
its pretty easy to deal with rust mate , i just sanded down the back arches and sprayed them again :cool:
right the only way you will deal with rust is cut it out , you will slow it down by sanding it etc but you will never get rid with out removing the piece thats gone completely.
Matty_89 said:
Fair play.
I was also wondering weather its worth investing in anti-roll bars, i am right in thinking that these just reduce the cars flexibility?
anti roll bars are a fine investment they are used to reduce body roll ,
flexibility if your talking body flex can only be reduced with roll cages or fully seem welding the whole monocoque up which is a mamoth task and very specialized.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
^^^ What, he aint bought one yet davy!?!?!?

As paul said, but also if you WERE to roll your car, you will have a much high chance of surving with a rollcage (not trying to be too down, but it is also a safty device too)

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Davyw22 said:
stiffen up the body of the car so when you go around a corner you dont get so much roll
No arbs dont stiffen the body of the car they act on the opposite sides of the car , so when the outer wheel gets commpressed in a corner the acting force on the arb effectively lifts the inner wheel levelling the car out to what ever twisting force the roll bar will allow , so they reduce body roll and have no effect on comfort and ride quality ,
unless you go to dull with them which on rough or excessively pot holed roads can produce jarring, side-to-side body motions , which increase in severity with the diameter and stiffness of the roll bars. Excessive roll stiffness, typically achieved by setting or buying too thick an anti-roll bar , will cause the inside wheels to lift off the ground during very hard cornering. This, of course, is only possible if the regular spring rate actually allows the outside wheels to handle the much increased load. This can be used to advantage, in fact many front wheel drive production cars eg,civics that will lift a rear wheel when cornering hard, in order to overload the other wheel on the axle, so limiting understeer by causing slight over steer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
davy, to be fair mate, it sounds like paul is right. . . what he's just said up there ^^ is what I thought arb's do.

And paul, i dont think i'll be using broken or rough roads too often, the closest i will come to rough roads are speed bumps outside my house ;)

I think i will buy some, to me they sound worth while. Cheers for the imput guys

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
lol

Think he ment these "nice" (sarcasim) Corsa's lol

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Alec said:
Davyw22 said:
a nice corsa 1.2
A what? I've never heard of a nice Corsa 1.2 ;)
You bugger you beat me to it!

The 1.2's are shite you want a 1.0 3 pot like my mate has as his first car, all of 43 bhp it was an absolute animal! You could shift down and plant your foot and..........nothing......... lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts