Discussion Starter #1
Help! intermittent turbo Honda Civic1.7 CDTI

Ok, my girlfriends Honda Civic 1.7 cdti
has had a intermittent problem for a few years now
once every 6 months whilst driving above 50mph
the turbo would just cut and engine management light would come on
She would pull to the side of road, allow to cool for a 5mins
restart and problem fixed

I have just paid out to have the car fully serviced (the first time 50,000 miles, if didnt do it was gonna happen)

Now the fault is appearing on a weekly basis!
I have taken to a garage but they are scratching their heads

OBD-2 fault codes are

P1237 (which I think is Fuel pump secondary conduit malfunction)
P1401 (DPFE circuit high)

has anyone got clue what this means?
Is this case of replacing a sensor
or examining the fuel rail?
replacing the fuses and relays?
or just case of putting some injection cleaner in with the next fuel fill up ?

any help would be appreciated, as apparently its all my fault
because i got the car serviced and the belts changed (not the cheapest thing to do (car is at 100,000miles))
And she has now hijacked my car, in the meantime until i get hers sorted

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
a regular oil change helps the life of the turbo. i would expect any car to fail if it hasnt had fresh oil regularly enough. has it had regular oil changes???

·
Registered
3 Posts
DTC P1237:
Boost Control Positive Deviation
DTC P1237 may be set when the fuel tank is empty or the specified fuel is not used.
There is a trouble shooting guide available to your dealer to investigate this problem and it is all contained in technical bulletin number 682 dated 17.11.05.

DTC P1401 is Exhaust Gas recirculating valve insufficient flow, again there is a diagnostic to follow specific to the model.

In either case it is not a do it yourself type job as the first may mean a new turbo but you need to have the freeze data read first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi mate we had this problem too, pretty much exactly the same from the sounds of it. Take it to Honda...they fixed it for free, saying it was a known issue or something similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They will only "fix it for free" if the vehicle meets a certain criteria which I believe the OP's car falls outside of, and it is usually only if it involves a replacement turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as I am aware there are no product updates for the 1.7 Civic, there are certainly no safety recalls either.

If you do type your chassis number into Honda database and there is anything to do, it does not say what it is so you need to contact a dealer or you can pm me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi there is a problem with these if the car is in warranty take it to dealer for diagnose should be covered and new turbo fitted we done one the other week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my car a 1.7 cdti civic loses power and won't go over 40mph intermittently, a friend read the fault code with a reader but doesn't know what it is P1237, what is this fault code and how can the fault be repairerd. the engine light is also lite up on the dash?
Well that the similar thing i am going through .This happend 5 minits after i got my car serviced paying £150 and the garage. He is not accepting anything to do with him. He recons it could be a turbo problem and it is just a coinident it happend after the car got serviced!
I wonder if anyone out there got any answer, i will be grateful
jay

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar problem for a while...engine light would come on and would go into 'limp home mode'...

has been OK since I stopped using supermarket fuel - 'Sainsburys' in particlar.

Not sure if this is the cure...please verigy if it works for you too!

Great little car - rock solid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my cars doing this with the fault codes 238 and 1237 which i had diagnosed as seized actuator on turbo or variable vanes on the turbo seized .the car limp modes when the boost gets to high and the wastegate isnt opened .does anyone here know which turbo is fitted to 02/03 honda civic 17 cdti thanks

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Squirrelking said:
Pretty sure VVT's don't have wastegates as the vanes act as dampers and control the boost pressure. No idea on the turbo, it's hard enough getting any info on the 4EE2 at the best of times...
No your right they dont have wastgates theres no need as the vanes dont act as dampers they redirect gas flow to control boost pressure ,
"hang on read this " http://paultan.org/2006/08/16/how-does- ... etry-work/

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Yeah I've seen that howto before, you can blast it as well (using walnut shells ONLY!!!) if it's really knackered but thats a worst case job. You can get cleaners that you put in instead of diesel much the same as injector cleaner that will clean the turbo without dismantling, obviously only effective if it's not heavily dirty.

Nowt wrong with supermarket fuel either, it all comes from the same place! Only difference is down to how clean the tanks are up until it leaves the pump nozzle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Squirrelking said:
Yeah I've seen that howto before, you can blast it as well (using walnut shells ONLY!!!) if it's really knackered but thats a worst case job. You can get cleaners that you put in instead of diesel much the same as injector cleaner that will clean the turbo without dismantling, obviously only effective if it's not heavily dirty.

Nowt wrong with supermarket fuel either, it all comes from the same place! Only difference is down to how clean the tanks are up until it leaves the pump nozzle.
some tdi sites advocate chemical cleaning with bbq /oven cleaner thru the exaust downpipe port
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246287

1 - 20 of 23 Posts