Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My D16y7 rad is leaking from the bottom rad hose.

I found this problem and upgraded to silocone hoses all round and thought it would fix it, but it hasnt.

The hose clip is VERY TIGHT, yet is still intermittantly leaks here and there, not constant!!

Anyone know of why this could be?

thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry, the Radiator (what else begining with RAD could leak on a car? like a question on 'who wants to be a millionairre :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its plastic at the bottom and ive looked 3 times i think on seperate occasions and its not leaking :-(

·
Registered
351 Posts
one of the cores mite be split and its very hard to see the split with the rad on the car . it can be fixed by gently heating the area around the split with a blow torch (but not the split itself) its a pain in the arse and normally splits somewhere else
get a new/used one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOOOOOOOOO!!

I took the radiator off, the one with the fan on it, at the front of the car, the one in which the anti freeze goes into, which is pink by the way, a pinky glow it has to it (just to specify for some people who may confuse the radiator of my car from the one in their house, lols) but its that radiator :p

I saw fluid leaking so i took it all off, found the hose clip had come loose due to the pressure. (screw tight hose clip)

I put an exhaust clamp on it, did a worse job :-(

I finally put the origional clip back on and was working well until...........i went to star city and parked up....i thought there was a snake under my car such was the hissing noise coming form the bottom :)
Damn thing was letting out the fluids :-(

what could it be, the silicone pipe is 100%
the rad is 100%
the clips are 100%

seems there is too much pressure in there, what could cause this? water pump?
i was thinking about going 100% anti freeze, no water, what would that do?

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
anti freeze serves two purposes,

1) to stop the coolant freezing in winter an spliting ur block
2) act as a lubricant to keep the system flowing nice

all i know is to much anti freezes causes problems, think its got something to do with how it holds heat.

have you taken the radiator off and stood it on table and bunged the holes and filled it up so you can get a good look round it for leaks?

there is a drain bung at the bottom in the center you can check.

or just get hold of some rad seal and give that ago?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem sorted!!

The radiator was blocked!

The fluid couldnt circulate quick enough and was hogging things up, the water pump pumping away building up pressure, so it had to come out of somewhere as the blockage wouldnt give in, so out it came through the bottom hose.

My mate who works for merc managed through his contacts, to get me a Brand SPANKER radiator for £20!! He even gave me merc anti freeze which is 163+ degrees and -20 degrees, well happy with that :-D

Thanks all for trying to help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts