Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a Peugeot 306 2.0HDI DTurbo @ 90BHP (remap due soon). The car is fairly nice looking and gives most 1.6's a good run for their money (except Civics obviously!! :p)

I've been looking at the EP3's (01-05) and although they cost more then an EK9, the insurance is a hell lot cheaper.

Here's a comparison:

[90BHP] My current car, group 5: £890 FullComp
[108BHP] 03-05 EP3 1.6Vtec Sport, group 6: £960 FullComp

So although the EP3 would cost a lot more to buy, I would at least see a lot of the money returned when I sold it. However if I bought an EK9 (or a similar model) then the car would probably cost a lot less (and therefore return me a lot less) but cost a s--t load more in insurance (which obviously is non-returnable).

Whats the best sub EP3 civic with a reasonable insurance group to go with it?

They all seem to be 9+ and although I want speed, insurance is a big issue..

I'm 18, Full UK license, 0NCB.

Recommend me a civic!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff. Any other options here? I mean although I'd really like a EP2 they are around.. £4.5k for the cheaper ones (1.6VTEC Sport). Any older models that aren't to hefty on the insurance that you could recommend?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, but if I could pick up one for -£1000 then it would work out cheaper short term.

Honda Civic - 03/05 3Dr 1.6i VTEC Sport [AC] - 108BHP, Group 6, 43MPG [16v]
Honda Civic - 95 3Dr 1.5 LSi - 114BHP, Group 10, 36MPG [?]
Honda Civic - 95 3Dr 1.6 VTi - 158BHP, Group 15, 35MPG [?]
Honda Civic - 99 3Dr 1.5 LS [AC] - 112BHP, Group 8, 44MPG [?]

That doesn't seem to be too bad...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i would say your best bet would be to go for the ep2, you could get yourself an older ek civic like mine but to be honest the insurance is still quite expensive on them, the cars have been around long enough for the insurance companys to know what us young drivers get upto in them!!
youv no chance of getting insured on an ep3 and would be a waste of money imo as you could have bought yourself another car with what you threw away on insurance, ep2's are fast enough and reliable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some quotes I got for the 1.5Ls, to be fair if I could pick one up quite cheaply it would work out a lot cheaper then getting an EP2.

Civic 3Dr 1.5LS FC / TPFT
0yr NCB = £1907 / £1832
0yr NCB + Dad = £948 / £934
1yr NCB = £1053 / £920
1yr Hold license + Dad = £821 / £731

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I've got an '04 Sport (1.6) in Black, I fucking love it, but it's not fast. Don't get me wrong, it's nippy, but there's not many cars it'll beat hands-down. Was a MASSIVE jump from my old 996cc 1994 VW Polo though, haha! I'd advise you to go for a Civic Sport, but then again, I would as that's my car :p

I did look at the 1.6 Executive, they come with a full leather interior and an in-dash DVD/Sat-Nav... but I like the Sport better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair enough, I'm on the hunt for the 03-05 1.6i VTEC Sport and the 99 1.5 LSi (3dr) so which ever comes first I will get! :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Budget is about £1500.

Is there a post somewhere which clearly shows the variance from 98 - 00 models?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dunno, just is? The 1.5 is only group 8.. That's why it appeals to me, all the rest are 12+ that's why I want that particular model..

At end of day no point having a 1.6 whatever if I can't afford to keep in on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got on phone to them, here's more details:

£1250
3 Previous Owners
Serviced up to 90k's
Cam belt done at 92566
Mot march 10th, willing to MOT before purchase
No scratches/dents, however slight bubble above 1 wheel arch

Comments?