Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm Dan from Bournemouth in Dorset and I'm currently looking for an EM2 Coupe as a daily.

I've found one near me for sale, auto with 63,000 miles with a good MOT history for just under £2000.
However there is one issue that the garage selling it have advised me about.

Apparently, the exhaust system had been previously changed and the engine management light has started coming on radnomly, possibly due to an 02 sensor being changed for an after market version and not a genuine honda one. We've since spoken with a honda dealership we know of (we have a gen 7 1.6SE in our family!) and we've been advised if the exhaust system doesn't have a genuine honda 02 sensor the EMU can get upset. We've been quoted £230+VAT for each 02 sensor and they're arent available until December and January.
So we think potentially a previous owner may have decatted the car and stuck on an after market exhaust and for whaever reason stuck on a non Honda cat.

What are your guys thoughts on this ? Its a real shame becuase it looks like a really clean car and given that the cam belt will need doing, it could be an expensive purchase !

Are there any common things to look out for with EM2's as well ?

Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance !

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add to the above post, is there anyway of stopping the engine management light coming on other than changing the 02 sensors ?
Are there any other implications of the engine management light being on and having non genuine Honda 02 sensors fitted ?

Thank you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts