Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've got a 1.8 EX 8th Gen model with 180k miles. This problem started about just over a year ago and a half ago. I noticed one night that my heater started to only blow luke warm/cold air when set to anything below HI e.g. If I want 24/25 degrees of heat, I don't get that like I used to. So in order to get any kind of heat, I have to have it set to HI at all times which is sometimes annoying because it gets too hot, so the HI setting has obviously stayed working giving off the same heat it always would have.
However even though set on HI, the hot air takes longer than usual to heat up than when I first bought the car on 120k miles it would take around 5 minutes before the set temperature was reached, it now takes about 20 minutes before it starts getting warm (on HI) and then when at low revs or stationary it will blow luke warm (still on HI) and occasionally will stay hot at low revs or stationary depending on how long I've driven at High revs for. I've seen all the potential solutions for this kind of problem but I haven't seen anyone talk about issues with not getting the correct heat for the set temperatures below HI. Could this still just also be a thermostat issue? or maybe radiator? I wouldn't think there are any leaks or trapped air if the HI temperature setting still gives off the maximum heat, just takes longer to get there. Sorry for this long message. Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
It’s most likely a bad water pump. Keep the car in park, turn it on and let it run until it comes to full operating temperature. Place the heat setting on low or mid settings...it will most likely blow cool air...now push down on the gas pedal and hold it there around 4-5 thousand rpm’s while holding your hand near a heater vent. If it starts blowing hot air after holding it there, the pump is bad if not, it is most likely just a bad panel/control setting, sometimes the contact points for the heat setting knob/dial go bad. Sometimes you can clean them with rubbing alcohol or replace with new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts