Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a guide on how i would go about applying Wax or Sealant to cars i have in and also the options of what kinds you can use.

Here goes.
The most important thing to know when applying any Wax or Sealant is THIN coats!
Applying a thick coat of wax or sealant does not give you better protection, it only makes for hard removal and waste of product.

Drying or cure time will vary depending on the wax or sealant you are using. Some waxes or sealants recommend allowing the wax to haze or dry before removing while others must be removed when they are still wet. Read the instructions on what ever wax or sealant you are using to see curing or drying time and how long you should let it stay on before removing.

Paste wax Remove while it is still wet - Wipe on Wipe off method.
Liquid Wax Allow to haze before removal - Usually apply to sections or panels at a time before removing.
Sealants Must dry or cure before removal - Can be applied to the whole vehicle at one time. Drying or curing time is usually 20-30 minutes but can vary depending on the tempeture and humidity.

Most all waxes or sealants are non abrasive, except for cleaner type waxes, so application can be in a back and forth motion or circular, just make sure the car and applicator are clean before apply your wax.
Lightly buff off wax residue a clean microfiber towel, Do not apply pressure, if needed you can spray a quick detailer or distilled water on stubborn areas. I use two towel when removing wax, one for residue removal and the other to buff to a high gloss.

To avoid adding swirls or scratches to your paint, don't use pressure when applying or removing your wax

Just a little one for a change lol. As always comments welcome and again i will be adding pictures asap
Neil

·
Registered
96 Posts
My old Ibiza was a beautiful, non fading red (Seat "Tornado Red") and the only car I've ever bothered to wax, I liked the paint that much. All the above is good advice, 2 or more thin coats of wax lasts very well, you can tell by the rain droplets on the car only settling as little drops. I would only add to look at any wax with a critical eye, it is surprisingly hard to find car wax that isn't a mix of wax and polish.

At the most basic level, a wax adds a thin layer (of wax!) to the paint, and acts as a barrier to oxidisation. A polish abrades a thin layer off the paint, exposing the unoxidised paint underneath. In time, this exposed layer becomes oxidised too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My best tip is to apply the wax using your hands, the heat of your hand and the air acts as a catalyst for the wax. using a cloth or sponge applicator means taking off a thin layer of previous polish, restorer or other. using hands does not do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts