Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my engine bay looks soo manky so i was thinking of letting the Karcher (pressure washer) on it

Now i nkow that some electrical parts need to be covered etc so and help as to what should be would help me greatly

A picture of an EG engine bay with some arrows would be great 8-| :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
autoglym engine and machine cleaner. move/unbolt obvious parts to clean behing. dont unbolt if u dont know. i will prob do a guide on making a spangly engine bay as i need to do mine. will include spraying brackets and wire wool and wire brushes etc. a proper thorough job! might not be for a while though

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i plan on making my car mint. underneath i will do too. and will allow the car to get even dirtier than it is now so i can spend a few days making my car mint and making myself as dirty as possible!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I really wouldn't pressure wash your engine mate :)

Not only are there electrical parts to cover, you don't want to get water in your air induction either. And as well as you think you have covered, the pressure wash will get everywhere. Do as suggested above and clean it yourself. I recommend plain old white spirit ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
sod the white spirit, its useless any way!

we use oven cleaner here on the engine blocks, it removes everything and you get it spankily clean without having to put any effort in!! we srpay the stuff thats like expanding foam leave it for 15 mins, then rise off with a hose (don't need to use pressure just a constant steam of water works), then look at the bits that are still dirty and use a combination of the cleaner and a tooth brush, then rise off again. having done this use a spray on degreaser like the one stug stated and this will remove the remains of the oven cleaner.

don't leave the oven cleaner on long as it can make the ally look nasty as it eats the ozidation away (the protective coating that ally builds up on contact with air) this will only happen if you leave it on for half an hour or so, or let the oven cleaner dry on, only do it to a cold engine!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Yeah it is Nick but I don't pour it everywhere, just wet a cloth! Also use it on my windows. It's a miracle liquid ;)

Oven cleaner sounds good. Basically anything is better than a pressure wash :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts