Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
read alecs thread on turbos ,
basically you can only use a little bit of boost on a lot of engines without doing some engine mods ,
ie lowering compression uprating head gasket for starters ,
the more boost and power you want , the more engine mods you need ,
basically how fast you want to go , is directly in relation to how deep your pockets are ,there is no such thing as cheap power .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
the greddy turbo kits have everything but cant run very much boost as the compression ratio is all wrong for turboing. you will end up blowing something!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i did read the link but it's not telling me the quality of these kits, thats all i'm asking for not info on turbo's

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
My article explains that bolt-on turbos are bad news. Whether Greddy has the best in the world or the worst - it is still a bolt on turbo :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
how much are you saying this all costs!!! its just out of my price range (esp as i havent even got my skunk2 coilovers money yet!)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I dont see why a bolt on turbo is a bad idea though alec? You can run about 220 bhp on stock internals on a D series. As long as the engine will handle it (if you upgrade it etc) why not boost? as long as you dont skimp and get it mapped properly you would have any problems

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
It isn't if you upgrade all the other affected engine parts, but hardly anybody does. They just shove a turbo on, don't upgrade anything else and get angry when it breaks down.

But to be honest in my research even people who do everything else can still have problems. I'd never fit a turbo to an engine that wasn't built for it personally.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can run a low amount of boost on stock internals and it will be fine! However if you were to just buy a turbo kit off ebay and slap it on without any ECU mapping and try run as much boost as humanly possiable then yeah ofc your going to have problems!

A turbo build is not something for the faint hearted and most people that do them know what they are doing so they will upgrade internals and get it mapped properly.

I was concidering turboing my EK at once point and even got to the stage of bidding on a few kits but decieded against it as the engine had done a lot of miles and thought it might raise some complications with the LPG as well

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
as in with a proper amount of boost the valves need to be open for a different duration. normally on a bolt on jobbie theres no need.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
they dont but if ur properly boosting an engine (built engine-pistons etc) then you need to change the camshaft. if ur thinking about bolt on stuff then most people use stage 1 cams with the kits anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts