Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just got my 1994 Civic, bought from a mate in an emergency and its actually better to drive than the Alfa I replaced it for!! Couple of questions though, hope you can help. Firstly, how do I get the stereo out without the keys? I have tried undoing the panel underneath by the fag lighter, but I cant push it out. Any tips? Is it screwed in?

Second, its only got speakers in the doors. Not keen on adding 6x9's any suggestions on where to place speakers in the rear?

Third, its only got 13" wheels. What size can I go up to without the need for lowering? I used to have a CRX Del Sol and that had 15", presumably the arches are the same size? Cheers for the help in advance!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Hey Andy, welcome to the forum :)

Let me go through your questions and answer then for you.

How do I get the stereo out without the keys?
There aren't really any specific "keys" for the factory Civic radio. The two thin poker things are universal, and all they do is push two metal flaps back in order to slide out the radio. No need for them though, I just use skinny screwdrivers.

However, if your radio hasn't been replaced before, there will be two screws keep it in place I'm afraid, one on either side :(
They are about half way back, and hopefully you can access them without taking your whole dash to pieces! I removed all screws, but moved the panels from their location as little as possible to get to mine. I'll write an article on it soon.

When you put your new radio in, don't put the screws back in unless you really want to. The little plates at the front will hold it in good enough, the screws are just for extra security. this makes it much easier in future!

Any suggestions on where to place speakers in the rear?
I thought the 94 came with rear speakers, I must be mistaken. Why don't you want 6x9s? You can get discreet ones that don't look to boy racery, but I have factory places for 6x9s not on the parcel shelf but right on the edges. Do you have room here? Attach a photo and I'll show you where I mean.

What (wheel) size can I go up to without the need for lowering?
I think you mean this the other way around? Lowering your car reduces the space for new wheels. You should be able to go up to 17" without a problem on a factory height car.

Hope this helped! Post a topic in new member intros and show us your car!

·
Registered
780 Posts
the 15" will go on no probs, it may be a bit higher, but shouldn't look too bad, any bigger and you will be on stilts!! :(

the best way of getting the sterio out is by using very small screw drivers or large hair clips, wiggle them about and it should come out, pull hard at the same time tho!!

there should be places for the speakers either in the edges that hold the parcel shelf on or in the rear quarter pannels either side of the rear bench seat, prob behind grills, or access from underneath.

hope this helps

PS welcome and honda civics rule hehe 8-|

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Andy_Hunt1979 said:
Third, its only got 13" wheels. What size can I go up to without the need for lowering? I used to have a CRX Del Sol and that had 15", presumably the arches are the same size? Cheers for the help in advance!
17s will fit fine, but you can get 18s on it easy if you dont lower..

·
Registered
780 Posts
don't think i've ever owned a car with the standard radio, my cars are usually too old and cheap to have anything other then a gaping hole >:-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crxhugh said:
the 15" will go on no probs, it may be a bit higher, but shouldn't look too bad, any bigger and you will be on stilts!! :(

the best way of getting the sterio out is by using very small screw drivers or large hair clips, wiggle them about and it should come out, pull hard at the same time tho!!

there should be places for the speakers either in the edges that hold the parcel shelf on or in the rear quarter pannels either side of the rear bench seat, prob behind grills, or access from underneath.

hope this helps

PS welcome and honda civics rule hehe 8-|
That was the problem with the CRX, I whacked 18's on that and then it was riding too high, so I had to drop it a bit! Regards the stereo, when I undid it from beneath I saw some small screws on the cradle, so Ill take them out and maybe with a bit of brute force, I can shove it out from behind.

There is nothing in the rear by the parcel shelves for speakers, and there is nothing in the rear quarter panels either, from looking. Think I am going to have to do some dismantling!

If I was thinking of a doing a seat transplant, what will fit into my '94 civic without too much hassle? Presumable Type R seats are out of the question?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Seats are easier than people think actually. The rails bolt on to simple, flat metal. If you buy your Type R seats with rails included, you should be able to make them fit easily :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah alec is right, the rails just bolt on, then if they don't fit your origional mounts in the floor then just drill new ones and bolt from underneath the car, it is quite easy as there are only four bolts and its only usually one that doesn't fit, like skinny and his 3bolt seats

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
yeh at the moment, im rocking it out on only 3 bolts.. but im gonna bolt underneath at some point soon..

when i can be arsed :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does that work for back seats though? My mate who sold me the car wasnt the cleanest bloke in the world to say the least, there fore the inside hums and could do with new seats all round!

Also, if I were to fit an induction kit, would I need to remap the ECU? I needed to do that for the CRX as apparently the VTEC timing gets thrown out because of the change in air intake volume (or something like that).

·
Registered
780 Posts
new seats?? i have a set in very good condition, non-smoker, same as yours, see my ebay thread in the ebay section!!! :cash: :cash:

you cant remap the standard ecu, you can get it chipped, but its not worth it for an induction kit, just make sure you get one specifically for you engine as you can damage the engine by using an incorrect one, i had a 2l focus one on my car and it caused problems

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Should work for your back seats, although bound to be more difficult than front ones. Just make sure the seats you buy come with everything needed.

Not remap your ECU completely, just reset it. That will do the trick. It's not even really necessary since it makes hardly any difference, but always good practice to reset your ECU after you fit a performance part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crxhugh said:
new seats?? i have a set in very good condition, non-smoker, same as yours, see my ebay thread in the ebay section!!! :cash: :cash:

you cant remap the standard ecu, you can get it chipped, but its not worth it for an induction kit, just make sure you get one specifically for you engine as you can damage the engine by using an incorrect one, i had a 2l focus one on my car and it caused problems
I knew I had something done to it, it was a few years ago now! Regards the seats, I dont think they will fit, which is a real shame. Mine is a 3 door "M" reg, and your ad says they wont fit the 3 door unfortunately. Otherwise I would have snapped them up. >:eek:

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
crxhugh said:
For only an induction kit, I would recommend just resetting following my article closely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts