Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just a quick one, other than the key situation this is the only real thing that plays on my mind with the civic i just brought! Gearbox!

Basicly car has been sat for a couple of weeks, at first thrust bearing was a little noisy and pedal creeked. But that soon went. Only thing now is when i drive it, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear whine a little! Now i know it's hard to explain this kinda stuff! But basicly It's not too loud that it's overpowering. But u can hear it. Pretty much goes away in 4th and 5th. Changes gear nice, smooth and pulls well. Stays constant level i.e dont get louder underload.

Now it might be me not used to Honda's or FWD cars as i've been in RWD's for pretty much 5 years now. Im also not used to such quiet engines lol

The car is a 1996 1.4i with 130,000 miles. FSH so i wouldnt say it's had a very hard life. But i do think it's done a few motorway miles!

Like this:

All i really need to know is if it's normal and if it's not is it going to be a problem or one of these things that will go on for miles and miles without issue?

Thanks in advance

Danny

·
Registered
99 Posts
hows the oil in your gearbox, any leaks when was it last replaed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:redface: Im yet to get off my ar5e and check the oil lol any idea where the bolt hole is to check it? I assuime it's a bolt somewhere and the oil has to be up to the bottom of the bolt hole type thing? Im only used to Ford Gearbox's and diffs :geek: lol

But no leaking fluids of any type and i cant even smell oil. Especially potent gearbox oil! As for when it was last changed it would have been when ever Honda said so. The past owner was on the ball with servicing and repairs. So if they said 100,000 miles it would have been 100,000 miles etc. Im still sifting though large wad of recipts and service to see if i can find out anything lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
then im out of ideas im afraid, im only going by my old car where i got the clutch done then the gearbox oil seals mysteriously went...

low gears sounded like reverse...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no it aint that bad! lol. More like.... u remember the noise of the old metro gearboxes? Early small engine'd fiesta's etc etc.

Im begining to think it's me being paranoid! Well the car it's replacing is going to be MOT'd before it gets sold tomorrow. The mechanic owes me a favour, well he dont but i spend enough money there so i'll get him to take it for a spin see what he thinks if he aint too busy. Or at least point at the oil level checker for me :mrgreen:

I dunno what im worried about anyway the diff has been blown on my Sierra for nigh on 11000 miles now and that's still going lol

Chears

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine does the exact thing... but mines loud as hell lol. I need to check my GB oil, but i dont know which are the checker bolts... My Thrust bearing is also gone for difinate... because it whines when i release the clutch when idleing... but when i press the clutch in, its sound as a pound...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well mine seems to have gotted quieter, Maybe cause it's being used now and not sat around on a dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts