Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having some issues with getting into 1st gear and second sometimes too. I have a 2003 civic sport thats done 48,000 now. Only had it over a month. When at lights sometimes im waiting in neutral then go for 1st and its like the slot where the gear is supposed to be is blocked off. I then have to furiously try and slam it up from 2nd and into 1st which seems to work then set off as i should do. The gear stick has a bit of play/rattle/wobble when in gearsy.it does this in all gears and have been told its probably the gates being bit too wide or worn. Ive pulled coverings off to see if it is anything getting stuck but all seems fine. Is this a common problem or am i looking at a costly gearbox or something?. hope ive explained it properly. please ask any questions if your unsure what i mean. cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sometimes yeh, seems quite clunky when putting it in gear sometimes. also at the moment when in neutral and clutch is up it has like a low whine sound. when i push the ckutch down the noise goes away. looked on youtube at a few videos and im thinking it might be the input shaft bearing on the clutch? what do you think?.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Hmm, see if changing the gearbox oil helps.

I did mine recently and the difference was night and day, the old fluid degrades and creates the vagueness you describe whilst overfilling could create the whine. Either way you're probably not far away from needing it done anyway and it's a fairly cheap option.

Your selector bushes could also be worn, they are rubber inserts that attach to each end of the selector cable and could be worn out depending on how the previous owner treated it.

If you bought the car from a dealer you should still have reasonable claim to getting them to investigate it if it was an inherant fault at the time of purchase, gearboxes don't go funny just like that. I'd try my luck and politely ask them to take a look at it describing what the problem is, if they want to charge you casually mention that you heard that the sales of goods act says otherwise (I would recommend reading the citizens advice site first so you know what you're on about as I may have got this slightly wrong) but don't go in all guns blazing as that rarely achieves anything beyond pissing off someone who has little to do with it anyway. If I am right and they can't fix it then you are entitled to your money back or suitable compensation (there are terms for this though that you must satisfy, again citizens advice will straighten it out)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/you ... hicles.htm

Good luck getting it sorted :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same problem I've got a 2002 ep3 type r exact same symptoms. Now I looked into this its the input shaft bearing had a rebuild on the gear box done that's all the bearings changed,oil, and new clutch fitted I also put a esm inserts short shifter with alloy bushings and a skunk2 weighted gear knob this sorted it all cost me £600.00 all together but as I'm keeping the car it didn't matter. But it was definitely that input shaft bearing

·
Registered
55 Posts
From my experience, when its difficult to get it in first and/or second, it`s almost always the clutch which is worn enough to not slip yet, but enough to give you trouble with 1st and 2nd. So think of getting a new clutch. Its either that or the synchros are worn, but thats much less likely on a car under 50k miles.

The whining you hear when engaging the clutch (pedal up) and goes away when you release it (pedal down) its 100% the input shaft bearing, and is the reason why I sold my Civic, I did not want to deal with gearboxes, anything but not gearbox, especially that the clutch was very good (i did let the new owner know about the problem). It took about 15k miles from the whining to go from weirdly pleasant (sounding like a quiet supercharger) to an obnoxius type of "caused by a clearly a worn part" type of very rough sounding whining. The input shaft bearing is £25 iirc, but the labour is ten times that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2018 1ltr turbo civic and it is still under warrenty so it went in and it was the 1st gear had totally gone and the 1st and second gear sync row... They have been change and now it goes into 1st and second but when you try and set off in first it jumps out of gear every single time so it seems that the 1st gear is not engaging properly... Its now back in the garage so will update on the problem but mine is a 2018 model with only 15000 miles on it so i think im the only person in the world with this problem with such a newer model lucky me....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts