Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm looking into buyin a 1.6 vtec civic sport sometime in the near future, so I got a shot of my mates Type R, but theres an awful whistling noise coming from his gearbox, he thinks it's about to go.
He is extremely rough with it, foot to the floor and hits his limiter almost every gear but I still wouldn't expect a honda gearbox to be on it's way out at 40'000 miles. It's an 05 plate EP3 model.
So with this being the case with his, I'm kinda worried about buying one myself and was wondering if this is a common thing?
And how hard is it to blow the head gasket on a honda vtec engine?
Cheers for your time :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
the whilsting noise will more than likly be the clutch release bearing... when idling, if you put the clutch in, does the noise 'dissapear'? if so, it will be the release bearing...
Not sure about the head gasket question, i havnt ever heard of one going :S

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put in the clutch you could still hear the whistling, and when I put the gear stick in neutral and move it around from side to side it made an ever wierder noise? Sounded as if something was extremely slack and moving around that wasn't supposed to be...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true lol the way he drives is unreal, flat oot everywhere lol
And the donuts are unreal too lol
So it isn't a common problem unless you drive savagely?

·
Registered
143 Posts
tut tut, not being nasty, but i hope he gets caught... its idiots like him why my insurance is so high... tell him to drive sensibly, unless on a track of course...
Anyways... im not 100% that it isnt a common problem, but it really shouldnt be at only 40K... tell him to check GB oil and check for leaks ect... if that fails, get a garage to have a look at it...

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Clarkson described the EP3 "as reliable as the universe" which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah well so it must be his driving then or something along those lines but I'll tell him your advice, cheers :ugeek:
Yes it's always on a track :rolleyes: :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts