Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my second hand Y reg Honda Civic in Feb this year and on the whole am very happy with it. However, 2 weeks after I purchased it the gear box packed in.(it had done approx 68,000 miles) Fortunately I got it changed through the insurance I had taken out. Now, less than 7 months on and I have had to take it back to the garage because of a noise when starting the engine and I have been told it is the gear box AGAIN!!! ( I have done approximatelty another 8,000 miles since the last time it packed in!) I don't know much about cars, but I do know that the gear box is not supposed to go twice in 7 months! The garage and Honda dealers I contacted seemed very surprised that this has happened, as they say it is very uncommon for a gear box to go once let alone twice. Has anyone else had this problem with their gear box?

Has any one got any advise? Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
This is VERY unheard of, this sounds like there are deeper problems. Sorry i cant offer any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the plot gets thicker. I was told by the garage I brought the car from that it was a new gear box and they also tols me the Honda dealer they thought they got it from. However, the garage they tols me they got the part from has not been a Honda delaer for 4 years! And the closest Honda dealer says they have not snet a Honda gear box to my garage in the past. This makes me think that they actually DID NOT put a new gear box in, despite what they told me. I am now also aware, that despite paying for a year's warrenty for the car at the time of the initial fault, which the gagrage told me I had to do as it would be much cheaper that way, that the garage made NO CLAIM on my warrenty despite taking my money! What I now think may have happened is that instead of buying new or even recondiditioned they either repaired or got a second hand gear box from a scrap heap, and fitted it edging their bets that it would not go again, but alas it has! I don't know I may be being unfair to them, they have a good reputation in my area, but I can not think of any other explaination. What do you think? :) Yes I do use the clutch, but not TOO much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is what I also think happened, well it has backfired on them as they now need to change it properly and I am not paying!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts