Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kk iv just got my type r lips sprayed for my ej9, now after spending 140 on the things and 117 getting them sprayed

im in no rush to be going and wrecking the things trying to fit it!

i called into a mates garage n he said its an easy enough job to do and that i should just do it myself,,

it involved just bolting it on and sealing the front and back up with windscreen bond which i already have,

is it a simple matter of this or is it alot harder than it sounds and should i really take it to get professionally fitted??

he also recommended just using a double sided sticky tape/foam kinda strip maybe instead of the windscreen bond as

its not as messy to clean off it i fuck it up, is this tape even strong enough to support the lips at the front??

·
Registered
332 Posts
wouldn't think so, using a bond would be better, only if you want it there permenant, a screw on either side at the very end wouldn't go a miss either!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
This is one of the easiest job you can do. Seriously. Go for it.

I wouldn't do sticky tape since that offers little to no adhesion at all, but I don't think bond is really necessary either (mine don't have it). It would only be there to stop any rattling anyway since the actual lip is supported in the middle by the lip of the car you're putting it onto, and the bolts on either side.

It's near impossible to fuck something like this up. Let us know how you go!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats great thanx!!

me n a m8 are gonna fire them on over the weekend when we put on my new headlights :)

tbh it didnt look too hard but when sum garages were quoting me 100+ to fit them i thought maybe there was more to it!!

suppose can always bolt them on and if im not happy i can use a tiny bit of bond!!

think the back one may need a little bond as it isnt the best fit!! it took 5 weeks to come when i was told it would take 3 days!!

so when it arrived i was more interested on getting it sprayed and never rele thought of checking the fit first :cry:

will let yas kno how it goes n will get a few pics up in the gallery once iv finished! car hasnt rele been anyfin special so far apart

from the ep3 seats new grill n alloys!!

Edit:

while on the subject of the type r lips!!

i mite b getting my hands on a manifold/decat/cat-back exhaust system 2mo, now the thing has a big stupid 4.5"

tail on it!!

1) is this going to sound ridiciously loud/silly

2) am i gonna have to badly cut into my new type r lips?? is there any way of avoiding cutting at all?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
1) That depends entirely on your own opinion. My last backbox on my car was 4.5 and I loved it. Sounded awesome. Here's a 4.5" (best pic I could find):

[attachment=0:292s9c0e]32414639_full.jpg[/attachment:292s9c0e]

2) When you get your exhaust fitted they should be able to make it so it sits snugly against your lip without cutting into it, or under it. Be aware that the end of the exhaust gets hot though and may melt the plastic. Mine did this but now it just looks like I cut the lip perfectly for the back box!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
id probably stick some foil on the underside (not so its visible from the rear, just so heat doesnt ruin it!) aluminium foil cools down quickly and reflects heat really well, as long as you smooth it before u stick it, it will look good. if it looks better as alec has it, id do that.

my standard lips are bolted on! thats the best way to do it!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ermm Yeah^^^

On subject...looking forward to seeing this as I'll be undertaking it aswell. But first I need to remove my old ones. Anyone got any ideas?? They seem like they've been bonded on with something. Was wondering it heating them up first would help to be able to remove them??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts