Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted Type R seats to my 55 Civic Sport. Unlike my Sports' seats they do not have side air bags, so the wiring for them is just left under the seats. I now have the problem of the air bag warning light being constantly on.

Can anyone suggest a solution......and no, I do not want to just take the bulb out!!!!

Many thanks....

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
you have a predicament here ,
the light wont go out until you plug air bags back into it ,
so you have 2 choices live with the light and no air bag system because the light on means its shut down
or put your seats back in
dont mess about trying to plug stuff or resistor looms in to make the system think that the seat bags are still there as it could all end in tears .

·
Registered
28 Posts
the airbag light will stay on, u have to take it to honda. u need to put some sort of wire across the airbag connection under the seat, although as paul states, it's not ideal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wish it was that easy!! been to my dealership and they say nothing they can do....rang Honda UK and they said only option is to take bulb out......unbelievable......I can't believe there is no plug to just simply fit on the end of the wiring to complete the circuit.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I was planning to have the same problem tomorrow morning when i fit my Type R seats too. From doing a bit of digging around various forums and discussion boards, the civic needs a 2 Ohm resistor between the connectors to simulate the airbag. (the resistor value varies from car to car ie My impreza is 3.3 Ohm).

I know it won't help you at the moment but for future seat fitters I found this which seemed to work for others:
The battery should be disconnected 30 mins before disconnecting the seat airbag connector.
Before disconnecting the connector hit the brake pedal (Not sure why, maybe this discharges the system??).
When the connector is disconnected, bridge the terminal with the 2 Ohm resistor (Doesn't matter which way round the resistor goes as its not polarised).
Tape up the connector
Reconnect the battery.
Switch on ignition to position 2.
The light should go out as normal.
Apparently if the above is followed ths SRS light doesn't come on and therefore doesn't need re-setting.

For those who have the light on already, if you apparently do the above and then follow the SRS light reset procedure which is on a few forums, then the light goes out. I'll try and attatch this for you......

I'll let you know how i get on with mine....!
Greg.[attachment=0:1uas3ouu]SRS Light Reset.jpg[/attachment:1uas3ouu]

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok...please let me know how you get on.

I tried reading the attachment but can't seem to open it properly....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Success!!!

The SRS warning light was permanently on so I did the following.....

Disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes.
Connected a 2 ohm resistor to each end of the wiring plugs under the seats.
Reconnected the battery but the SRS warning light remained permanently on.
Followed the instructions on the attachment to re set the SRS system. Finding the SRS wire in the fuse box was not easy...the wiring is not yellow only the plug and it's in the most inaccessible place!
Had to follow the instructions 3 times before I got the light to flash twice as described.
Switched ignition off and on and the SRS warning light went out.
Went for a test drive and all ok.

Cheers Greg!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following instructions from gregbav on fitting the Type R seats to my Civic Sport I used 2 x 1 Ohm resistors connected in seires on each seat and have acheived the same positive result.Thanks for the help Greg.

All the Best Kris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resistor Bypass

Just fitted the 2 front seats and the resistors as above. Works perfectly, Yey!!
Hi Greg, i want to try this air bag bypass using the 2 ohm resistor, but i am confused, my honda civic shows a fault code of B1187 = 2long 2 short flashes= open circuit in passenger airbag module, having inspected the module and its connection, it definately has more than 2 pins in the yellow connector. Please can you advise which pins to connect the ends of the resistor to? Thanks.

-Reggie-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts