Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I cant take pretty much any of the credit for this mod lol.
Paul20v is the person behind it.. I just funded the project hehe. Turned out to be pretty long winded as i bought them with the wrong bulbs so had to wait for the Japs to post some over.. lol.

So yesterday, after several hours of waiting on my drive.. paul FINALLY turned up :p only joking mate hehe.

Then we got to work..

I would explain more but i still dont really know how he did it, but basically, Paul made it so that the dips stay on when you switch to main beam.. I think they look friggin awesome!!

[attachment=1:3jkjtgkg]DSC00697.JPG[/attachment:3jkjtgkg]

[attachment=0:3jkjtgkg]DSC00699.JPG[/attachment:3jkjtgkg]

What dya think?

PS: Thanks paul hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats total rubbish mate.. mine are fitted into projectors, not stock housings..

mine are 4200k which is way below the 6000k legal limit

mine have been put in an MOT bay and professionally adjusted to meet legal limits.

You can see that the ones in your old car are illegal, they look far too blue and far too shite..

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yeah the issue comes fitting them into stock housing.

Not only that, but that video does not say that all HID conversion kits are illegal. Just that some are.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
let me get this right, normal headlight bulbs (H1 H4 etc etc) need to be 55/60w. what is the the colour temperature got to do with the brightness? as in 4200k would be more red than bluer 6000k ? surely watts would be power and power would be brightness???? or am i taking this from colour temp from monitor setups and its something else?

after watching the video: right so its cos the bulbs going in arent the right focal length for the reflectors (or) too bright for the reflectors to cope. eg putting the wrong bulb in makes the light come from the wrong place.

a normal dipped bulb works by shining down onto the road so that other cars car see a bright light emitted but not the light shining at them. it basically shines upward to the top of the reflector and shines down
main works by shining out so you can see. it shines backwards into the reflector to shine out.

when its wrong the dipped beam doesnt shine to the right part of the reflector causing some light to be emitted out.

basically some kits are complete bollocks.

i use normal H4 bulbs in my car. combined dipped and main. but different. dipped is 80w and main is 100w. illegal yes but causing problems no.

I can also say that my lights are adjusted correctly so that the height of the dipped beam goes nowhere near the eyes of other motorists.

with bright lights it affects motorcyclists in the wet the worst. they have no wiper for their helmet and the beams shine through water molecules into their eyes. with brighter badly adjusted headlights they shine straight into their eyes.

the point is only some kits are crap. some are good. as your mot tested bulbs work then there is no problem at all.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
all valid points and pretty accurate except that the colour / tempurature has a lot to do with the actual useable light on the road the 4300k is the best road light 6000k is fine but has a blue tint but the higher you go the worse the light on the road, wattage is generally thought to be equal to brightness and in most cases sold accordingly ,but in the case of hid they only run 35w and there 3 times as bright mmm i here you say , so wattage is actually only a measurement of consumption of electricity not light output,
hope this clears it up a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Kelvin is 273 degress less then centigrade, so room temperature of 20 gedrees C is actually 293 degrees Kelvin

0 kelvin is absolute zero (-273 degrees C)

just incase people were confused as to what is was in the previous diagram, not that it makes much difference lol

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12k wont even give you half as good visability as a 4k set.. the higher the k, the worse the vision.. also 12k is illegal.. anything above 6k is illegal.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
exactly alec lol.
We have had HID discussions on here before where people think 12k is fine.. you will eventually get pulled and fined for them though, specially if they are in stock housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TBH, anything over 8000K is stupidly bright and useless lol... just a bright glare!
My m8 has some 6500K on his JDM EP3, they don't look as nice as the 8000K (1's i have on my EP2) but visiability is much better!

And this about getting pulled over by the old bill, people always ask if ive ever been pulled ova for my HIDs, cz mine are really bright n blue but ive had no trouble up2 now (TOUCHWOOD) :lol:

Here mine if this helps any1...

By bobz_1986, shot with W900i at 2008-08-06

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
paul20v said:
all valid points and pretty accurate except that the colour / tempurature has a lot to do with the actual useable light on the road the 4300k is the best road light 6000k is fine but has a blue tint but the higher you go the worse the light on the road, wattage is generally thought to be equal to brightness and in most cases sold accordingly ,but in the case of hid they only run 35w and there 3 times as bright mmm i here you say , so wattage is actually only a measurement of consumption of electricity not light output,
hope this clears it up a bit.
having a look at this, anything around 5000K is going to give you the whitest light, therefore the best vision. think about what colour the obstacles that you will be shining on are, then think what colour light is required to see them. white light is going to give the purest colour, i want more lumens but white light!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
5k is great but i can assure you from experiance and lots of messing about with loads of different combos 4300k is the best for useable light but 5k is close a 6k is also ok but it starts to loose itin actual road lighting anything more is for show ie it looks good but is more likely to get you tugged by the rozzers and the point of it in my eyes is performance lighting not show .

oh and if you want ultimate road lighting get the 55w kits instead of the 35w kits the 55 is 100% brighter than a 35 kit .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i want proper lights.....these are good but not as good in the fiesta headlights

i have 100w main, 80w dipped.

the larger reflector and lamp of the fiesta made for some good headlights, and i also angled the fog lights so they were at car height and not on the kerbs to be used only down lanes to help spot deer, animals and drunks. fog lights with main beam (both off if cars coming).

i think that a proper 60w hid kit.

the 35w ones are only the low beam, when i want light to see i want main beam to have the power.

i also have H4 bulbs which have both filaments in the same bulb.

will be an expensive mod that probably isnt much brighter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts