Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, im thinking of putting a backbox on my 97 civic. The guy who had car before me had a straight through pipe on it but standard back box. Would I be able to just put a decent back box on it to get a decent sound from the VTEC. I also have an induction kit on it atm. Is there any regulations for MOT when it comes to not having a cat :S

·
Registered
132 Posts
yes you will have to put a cat on for the mot, all cars from 92 on need to have a cat or else it will fail the mot.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
You'll need a cat mate, but just get a cat and then get a De-cat. that way you can swap them out when you need too. Also when the Vtec kicks in most of the noise will come from the engine rather than the exhaust (or maybe that's just in my car lol)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont really fancy doing a lot of swapping out every year :S means having to pay mechanic to do it for me each time..

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
No it doesnt as i do it on my car, you can swap them out in under 30mins, hell you could prob do it in under 5 in the right enviroment

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
BuddyClub cat back system then a a De-cat pipe on it

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
It depends what you want, if you want optimal power out put id go for a de-cat pipe. a Sports cat is good as you SHOULD pass an emissions test. However you will get a lesser power increase compared to a de-cat. It all depends what you want out of a system, noise, power, emissions etc etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few websites out there are saying the increase in HP difference between decat and sports cat is only minimal as the cars HP is already under 200bhp anyway

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Well if your looking at under 1.6lr engines then yes the BHP increase is very minimal, but if you've got a 1.6ltr or larger than you can see the difference. For example. K&N did a test and they got the new style BMW M5 and just added a K&N air filter to the car and that gave the car a 20BHP increase. Of course that car has a 5ltr engine but you get the idea. Is your car a SOHC or DOHC Vtec?? Coz if its a DOHC like mine then any increase will be larger compared to a SOHC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea mines a DOHC, just tryin to weigh the pros and cons up, as I'm not very technical and would have to get a mechanic to take the decat out once a year.lol.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
no you wouldnt mate, as there are no wires or anything, Its positioned under the car, kinda where dashboard is. All you need is a spanner. take off the nuts and bolts of the de-cat and then just put the normal cat in its place and put the bolts back in. Simple Just remember you use some WD40 or vasalein on the bolt threads before you refit the cat to the car

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
No no, you just need a trolley jack and two axle stands, easy as that

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah right, dont have any of those tools like, but could probs get the lend of a trolley jack and buy the axle stands, always come in useful i sppose. :)

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
You can buy the trolley jacks and axle stands from Argos. Plus you'll use them more than just once, I'm sure

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much do you reckon I could get the decat pipe and everything for? Im finding it a bit hard to get one those buddy club decat pipes in UK. So i guess I need the decat pipe the cat back system AND a new cat for when it comes time of MOT??

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
you can use any de-cat pipe doesn't have to be buddyclub, i've got a Megan Racing de-cat pipe. VERY good quality, and quite cheap too, $56.00 (£25)

http://www.meganracing.com/products/pro ... p?catid=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good.. Might have to get mechanic to do it anyways to start as the previous owner of my car I think just welded a bit of pipe onto the exhaust.. bit of a DIY job me thinks..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts