Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've just bought an EP2 Civic as a bit of a doer upper. The previous owner told me that it uses a lot of oil - they couldn't give specifics of how much it used other than a lot.

The head gasket had just been changed as it was loosing water and since that was replaced its been loosing oil. I noticed a large trail of blueish smoke under acceleration also and TBH it felt sluggish but in all honesty, I can't remember the last time I drove something with this little power so it may be normal :ROFLMAO:

My thinking is its most likely valve stem seals need doing, car has done around 130K. Failing that possibly piston rings.

I'll be compression testing the engine tomorrow to rule out piston rings.

Assuming it's the stem seals, how easy is it to DIY? I like to think I'm pretty handy with a spanner (although usually Nissan not Honda) :unsure: or has anyone used a seal conditioner to help with issues like this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all

I've just bought an EP2 Civic as a bit of a doer upper. The previous owner told me that it uses a lot of oil - they couldn't give specifics of how much it used other than a lot.

The head gasket had just been changed as it was loosing water and since that was replaced its been loosing oil. I noticed a large trail of blueish smoke under acceleration also and TBH it felt sluggish but in all honesty, I can't remember the last time I drove something with this little power so it may be normal :ROFLMAO:

My thinking is its most likely valve stem seals need doing, car has done around 130K. Failing that possibly piston rings.

I'll be compression testing the engine tomorrow to rule out piston rings.

Assuming it's the stem seals, how easy is it to DIY? I like to think I'm pretty handy with a spanner (although usually Nissan not Honda) :unsure: or has anyone used a seal conditioner to help with issues like this
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, I’ve just done my cylinder head and although it was smoking before I thought it was just the water vapour from where it’s blown but obviously not, it uses more oil than than I thought it could. Good idea to do a compression check so I’ll do that and go from there, I’d hate to have to strip it all down to do the rings as I’ve just done the head :((
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, I’ve just done my cylinder head and although it was smoking before I thought it was just the water vapour from where it’s blown but obviously not, it uses more oil than than I thought it could. Good idea to do a compression check so I’ll do that and go from there, I’d hate to have to strip it all down to do the rings as I’ve just done the head :((
Cheers
Done a compression check and it’s alright but now I’m thinking it could be an engine breathing problem? Does anyone know if it’s a common fault for an ep2 to have crankcase breathing/engine breathing problems? Maybe this would cause it to suck more oil into the cylinders, just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Done a compression check and it’s alright but now I’m thinking it could be an engine breathing problem? Does anyone know if it’s a common fault for an ep2 to have crankcase breathing/engine breathing problems? Maybe this would cause it to suck more oil into the cylinders, just a thought.
i bought mine using oil and overheating did the head gasket and valve stem oil seals belt and water pump didn't have the head skimmed stupid mistake so it blew again this time i pulled the pistons as well compression rings were fine all four oil scraper rings were stuck in the groove so it burns oil common apparently .

·
Registered
4 Posts
i bought mine using oil and overheating did the head gasket and valve stem oil seals belt and water pump didn't have the head skimmed stupid mistake so it blew again this time i pulled the pistons as well compression rings were fine all four oil scraper rings were stuck in the groove so it burns oil common apparently .
Ahhh, this is the first time I’ve heard about rings being a common problem. Long story short that engine blew up because I got lazy with checking my oil regular, silly mistake but I found a second hand engine 97,000mile for £175. Just got this engine in a few days ago and there is slight blue smoke when I Rev her up. Doesn’t seem to use oil so I’ll just keep my eye on it for now, but this new engine is now using water and overheating! The resivoir tank is really full and the radiator is low, their is no emulsified water in the oil cap so I don’t think it is head gasket but what can it be? There is always something 🤬 is it just my luck with these d16v1 engines or are they well known for problems? Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahhh, this is the first time I’ve heard about rings being a common problem. Long story short that engine blew up because I got lazy with checking my oil regular, silly mistake but I found a second hand engine 97,000mile for £175. Just got this engine in a few days ago and there is slight blue smoke when I Rev her up. Doesn’t seem to use oil so I’ll just keep my eye on it for now, but this new engine is now using water and overheating! The resivoir tank is really full and the radiator is low, their is no emulsified water in the oil cap so I don’t think it is head gasket but what can it be? There is always something 🤬 is it just my luck with these d16v1 engines or are they well known for problems? Cheers
this is the condition i bought mine in with those symptoms .it is the head gasket and the head will be warped the pistons are pressurising the water jacket and the radiator cap will open to release the pressure taking alot of coolant with it which makes it worse because now the head isnt getting cooled . these engines are very sensitive to temperature .the initial problem on my car was the fan switch had failed allowing it to overheat which set the ball in motion before i got the car.the engine could already have been bust when you bought it but check your fans kick in and have a look at your radiator if too many of the fins have folded over it wont allow enough air threw before you do anything else .ive just had my block and head skimmed ive just picked it up today im replacing the rings an shells see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is the condition i bought mine in with those symptoms .it is the head gasket and the head will be warped the pistons are pressurising the water jacket and the radiator cap will open to release the pressure taking alot of coolant with it which makes it worse because now the head isnt getting cooled . these engines are very sensitive to temperature .the initial problem on my car was the fan switch had failed allowing it to overheat which set the ball in motion before i got the car.the engine could already have been bust when you bought it but check your fans kick in and have a look at your radiator if too many of the fins have folded over it wont allow enough air threw before you do anything else .ive just had my block and head skimmed ive just picked it up today im replacing the rings an shells see what happens.
That would make sense, now I need to decide if I should swap my old head onto this new block because I fitted new genuine Honda valve stem seals haha. My fans are definitely working I hear them when I’m stood in traffic, and my car has ac but the pump has blown and I have no incentive to replace it as the radiator is well knackered and I wouldn’t use it enough anyway I just put window down. I’ll try removing the ac radiator that might be blocking a lot of air from flowing through as it is badly damaged. If I have to strip it down to do the head I might as well do as you are and replace the rings and shells, where have you sourced them? I can only find them on tegiwa imports and they are nearly £50 a pot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That would make sense, now I need to decide if I should swap my old head onto this new block because I fitted new genuine Honda valve stem seals haha. My fans are definitely working I hear them when I’m stood in traffic, and my car has ac but the pump has blown and I have no incentive to replace it as the radiator is well knackered and I wouldn’t use it enough anyway I just put window down. I’ll try removing the ac radiator that might be blocking a lot of air from flowing through as it is badly damaged. If I have to strip it down to do the head I might as well do as you are and replace the rings and shells, where have you sourced them? I can only find them on tegiwa imports and they are nearly £50 a pot.
i have spent hours trying to source parts for this engine and always hit a wall and found nothing so i looked into hondas engine development through the years the d16v1 is the europe economy engine which is exactly the same as the d17a in all aspects except for the crank and con rod length also its non vetec which is not a issue .so if you look on ebay for a d17a re ring kit you will get every thing you need . mines coming over the next few days if you want to see if i had any issues only a 100 quid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts