Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im new to the forum, currently driving a 00' Ibiza 1.4, always been into jap cars however.

Im looking for a civic coupe with a VTEC engine, preferably EK shape.

Im unsure which engine to go for? Ideally I want a VTI but I think the insurance might be a bit crazy (19, 1 years NCB)

I just want to know whether the SOHC engines are any good? Likelihood is that I will be 20 with 2years NCB when I buy the car so I might be able to get insured on a VTI?

Any advice appreciated!! Cheers

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
20 with 2 yrs ncb you are probably looking at about 1.5k a year.
it varies for each person though, would be that for me on a vti, but others might get it for well under 1k

·
Registered
795 Posts
At 20 with 2yrs NCB I was paying 1100 TPF&T on a 1993 Civic ESi. Which is a 1.6 SOHC.

Theres nowt wrong with a SOHC IMO its quite a nice little way into the Honda family without being raped on insurance

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The 1.6 Sport (EP2) is a VTEC, though will obviously cost more than an older model, but it's only insurance group 6, which is handy. It won't handle like the smaller, lighter civics though.

It's all about compromise, if you can pick up a good older civic for £2k and pay £1k to insure it, you'll be saving over buying an EP2 for about £5k with say £500 insurance, though the insurance will go down as you get older and more NCB on the older model.

I have an EP2, but once my insurance drops below about £500, I might start looking at getting a Type-R...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ive got a 1998 1.8 VTEC with a 170bhp B18 engine. Its got 17" Lensos and a K&N 57i filter declared. Im 19 with two years NCB and my quote with flux is £1500. Wait for your two years NCB and get DOHC VTEC power its worth the wait!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
it does depend on where you live, where the car is kept, what your job is, weather mods are declared (should be 100% of the time tho). Theres so many variables you cant go on other peoples experiences.
Just get quotes with you being older with more ncb and see how it looks so you can save etc

I got quotes for as i am now on a vti-s, i saved and i pick mine up on saturday. Spent the last 3 years driving a 1.4 EJ9 and even tho its slow i still love driving it so maybe an older ej/ek might be idea to start and get you into honda's.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
HI im 18, have one Year NCB and have a civic coupe 1.6 sohc i had a xr2i fiesta before and the coupe is as fast as that, but the coupes are heavier, do you really want a coupe as a hatch is lighter. I prefer the look of a coupe so sacrificed a bit of performance. My insurance is £850. Standard car. Quinn direct. Its not stupidly fast by any means, but if you drive it right you can keep up with a 106 gti...just.
Depends how much power you want.

Edit:

Oh and its faster then the previous model ibiza 1.4 that you have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im new to hondas and at 17 i can insure my 1.5lsi 92 for £1200 with a years no claims (by my moped ;) i got it to save money and it has) i was restricted to getting the big boys hondas but you have to start some were and thats my 1st car and im chuffed :D x

·
Registered
61 Posts
i only bought my geared ped for £200 so cudnt argue wen its saved me £700 so glad i took it and the milage barley changed as i only used it every now an again.
although i bought my honda with 101,000 on it its honda carnt go rong only paid £500 so startin my JDM route as every one around me are all into "DUBS" :eek: so hopefully ill take them my way lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts