Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone's thinking of doing an engine conversion then let me know, i've done three this year, two being honda's and have done a turbo conversion as well so if you have any questions feel free to ask away

things to considder
1. will the new engine fit the old mounts, if not this can be time consuming and if you don't have the right equiptment it could prove difficult
2. if you have the room to work on both the cars at the same time this will make the re-build proce much quicker and easier
3. if the wiring looms are similar try to add the necessary wires rather then swapping the entire looms, this can prove eventful to say the least
4. often buying the entire car you want to source the engine from is the best way as this will mean you will have everything you need, some conversions often forget small parts that make the installation much easier/quicker

anything other then that is straight forward; unbolt it here, bolt it on there lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Where are you from mate?

Would you be up or doing a swap for people if they pay you?

I want a vti engine in my EG.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Well my dad and I installed the engine in his Lotus, but I haven't done a Honda Civic swap before. I'd be interested in doing it with someone else, sort of I help you with yours you help me with mine kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well, when i get my stuff for it, i'll let ya know, and you can come stay down here with me when its going in and hep out and/or see how the mechanic handles things.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm always up for doing any engine swap!! why else would i try putting 4wd onto an ef hatch lol :mrgreen:

putting a 1.6vti into an eg should be straight forward and could prob be done in a long weekend, depends on what eg you have, if its a dx or small engined one it wont have the suspension/brakes etc to handle the bigger engine.

personally i would go for the 1.8 vti like mine, there cheaper then the 1.6, have bucket loads more power (esp when you have extra weight in the car) but they are a bit more work, diff mounts etc.

i'm based in coventry untill my uni corse (motorsport engineering) is over in may, dont know where i am going then, hopefully where ever world rally goes lol :cool: we have a large drive (me n my mate) and are always up for work, let me know

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hummm depends, i don't know what brakes that has, prob get away with mintex discs and pads, but can be cheaper to get a larger set up form the scrappy, like prlude or estate, my ek has the same ones at the integra type r, they are found on the estate vti. 288mm of stopping power, trouble is i now have 4x114.3 studs on the front and 4x100 on the rear, giving me an unmatching set of wheels lol :$

id reccomend upping the suspension to an aftermarket set up anyway so thats not too much of a worry.

all depends on what you want and how much money, i did my ek 1.8 for a total of £1200 including both cars, all materials used, mot and tax at the end!! :mrgreen:

the ef we did we made £100 on after selling the left over parts from the doner, so it can be a winner in all ways.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhh
wasn't sure if it was the new elise, my mate had a supercharged k20 in his exige, now he's custom building an audi 1.8T into the elise chassis with custom exige style clams that he's designed and now selling
8-|

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imagine that with a k20 super in it!!!
it'd prob leave the shell behind!! its in mint condition tho

·
Registered
342 Posts
skinny - i would say you'll need to replace the brakes, because anyone else that has asked on other forums about puttin a B into an EG, everyone has said to buy an ESI so you dont have to change the brakes. and the loom will be different aswell id say, but depending on which b16 u get and the age of engine compared to car, you will probs get away with just getting a conversion harness? u reckon Hugh?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts