Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin of doin an engine swap, get rid of my b16a2 and get either a h22a1 or a b18. Does anyone know which one would be best for mine.would love a k20 but too expensive.

H22 - 190bhp
Ive heard that if you put these in too low cars the oil pan will be dangerously low as they hang low anyway.
Obviously it will change the handling abit, but will it dramtically change it?
B18 - 167bhp
Obviously crxhugh has done it, but is it really worth it for that extra 0.2l and 10bhp??

Just wondered what you think and what you'd suggest. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
you might want to look into a crvtec conversion. uses a b20 and a vtec head (might use the b16 head). actually am looking into this myself. keep seeing crv's about and thinking i want your engine lol. theres a guide somewhere on the internet but i cant find it anymore! basically add's cc's but im not sure if you can still rev to 8/9k or not. the b20 is basically the same as a b18 but there are other differences.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i mean thats wat i was worried about! i cant seem to find anywhere that tells me if the b18 revs to 8/9k and thats why im thinkin more towards the h22.

If you do find out anything on the b20 and the vtec head would you let me know! Il do the same, if i find anything about it il let you know becuase it sounds tempting but i dont want to sacrifice the high end power that the b16a2 has for a 2l with no 'end' product!lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
stug u mean the frankenstein!!

yer gettin a bigger engine will get you more torque :p. you can prob get a after market sump that isn't so big on h22.

get a dc2 teggy b18 more revs and has power than aerodeck lump!

other possible engines could be the k24 that is used in accords. i think thats right. anyway i saw in honda tuning mag (which you can buy at borders :D:D:D:D:D) a dc2 owning everything with that in.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
b18 teggy goes round to 9! but i'm still not sure about the b20. theres a jordan with a k24 with some tuning (maybe an ep3 head or something) and it goes like stink!

im sure that with the b20 you get aftermarket pistons and stuff using the b16/b18 head and it adjusts compression ratio's and revvable limit. probably need to "build" the b20 block to take the rev's? unfortunately im not working today so cant steal the knowledge from my mate jim lol.

probably going to get more power and easily and cheaper getting a b18 from an aerodeck and using manifold's and a change of cam you will see 200hp. then maybe get it mapped? the b18 from an integra is essentially the same block thers just things like cams etc that are different.

the h22 is probably the easiest to get torque and high revving vtec power. let me investigate more and see how b20 is done!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
b18 teggy goes round to 9! but i'm still not sure about the b20. theres a jordan with a k24 with some tuning (maybe an ep3 head or something) and it goes like stink!

im sure that with the b20 you get aftermarket pistons and stuff using the b16/b18 head and it adjusts compression ratio's and revvable limit. probably need to "build" the b20 block to take the rev's? unfortunately im not working today so cant steal the knowledge from my mate jim lol.

probably going to get more power and easily and cheaper getting a b18 from an aerodeck and using manifold's and a change of cam you will see 200hp. then maybe get it mapped? the b18 from an integra is essentially the same block thers just things like cams etc that are different.

the h22 is probably the easiest to get torque and high revving vtec power. let me investigate more and see how b20 is done!

quick checking around and its better to bore a b18 slightly than it is to use a b20. they have weak sleeves (the bit of the block around the piston) and need resleeving to actually rev that high.

straight engine swap would be h22 but you will need custom exhaust manifold. b18 is the easiest way to go for power and safety while not spending too much

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow cheers for the info guys. with regards to the b20 i think i am gunna probably leave that one cuz obviously it is not built to rev that high and even if they do need resleeving i probably wouldn't know how to do that(thats even if you can). But would still be interesting to see some info about it if you do come across some.

Stug you said using manifolds(which i have on my b16, but not an intake one) and change of cams you would see 200bhp, then get it mapped - well i was thinkin of jus gettin a cam bundle from buddyclub(new cams, uprated valves,springs etc...) fitting all that then get it mapped - surely that would be close to what i would get out of the b18 with less hassle and less money?
cam bundle £1400
Remap £600-700
Whereas
Aerodeck £1500 (at cheapest)
Cam bundle £1400
Remap £600-700

I mean this is my problem, do i go for an engine swap which gives me more base power and then gradually do that up, or go with the b16 which has less standard powr and smaller engine, but just do that up.
just gunna have a look at some engines now anyway lol and see whats about :D !!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
well what do you want a really raw revvy beast (a tuned b16) or a smoother torquey beast (b18 or h22) that also revs. you will want an lsd if you dont already have one too.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
basically need to uprate (from air in to air out):
panel filter
intake manifold (skunk2 fits both b18 and b16)
camshaft (skunk2 to go in b16 head)
valve springs and retainers
ek9 pistons
exhaust manifold
b pipe
backbox
(would be nearly 2grand on just parts)
chip (hondata and a remap.)

will see nearly 200hp on a good map which is nearly 125hp per litre! i would definitely want an lsd too!

i'd probably start sorting the rest for now like brakes, suspension and reducing the weight ready for the hike in power

b18 tuned the same way (all the above) will probably see 215-220. but add the cost of the engine to the 2grand

if your thinking of boost then you would have to make the block ready for it (with the others)
turbo pistons
turbo tuned camshaft
stronger valve springs and retainers
stronger head bolts
ecu mapping

200hp at low boost without any of the above
but with your own size spec turbo (larger one) you can see upto 300hp on a built engine which is more than enough power in a fwd. you would be looking at 2k for a basic kit or about 2500 for a custom kit.

its just so expensive to tune a car!! could get an ep3 as a 2nd car from just what you would spend on tuning!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys :)

Yeah tunnig does cost alot but i can't expect to be paying peanuts. Il let you know what happens with it and update you on how its goin lol :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i'm tempted to build a kit car or get a lightweight sports car and make it more lightweight and track ready. probably could spend that money on my car and make it unreliable!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I'm hopefully going to be building a mad machine once i have got some more money togeather...

Its going to be a MK2 CRX tintop with a JDM H22 in it, once i got it built its going to piss all over most things out there. I already have the engine just need to get a shell and a manual H22 'box. I was thinking about putting a 2.0l prelude box on it thinking that it might be closer ratio which would mean some baaaaad acceleration :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fookin hell both plans sound damn good! So edd are you gunna have the crx as a track car or just blitz everything else on the road lol

Btw still havn't decided on wat im doin, not enough time!!damn work.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well i was planning to have it just as a dedicated track car but am thinking i might have it as a road hooner as well as a track car just so i can piss all over stuff on the road. Gunna leave whatever badges it had on it and its going to be a sleeper so people wont know what i have hidden under the hood :D

Would be wicked for Traffic light grand prix :p

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha thats a wicked idea lol i love the expression 'sleeper' lol would b awesome to have a supra or sumit come up to you at the lights and you just rinse it :p haha would be mint m8.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
do you still have the 1.6 vti badge on the back? they always think how the fuck when they see mine! and im bog standard! had some fun with a 3.0 litre diesel audi a6. specs show 6.7 to 60 and sooo much more power but he wasnt faster!!! torque is nothing compared to vtec crossover!!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Lol maybe Alec :p i had someone come up to me in a 1.1 saxo claiming to have 'nailed me off the lights' I didnt even know what he was talking about until he was like yeah earlier this evening and i was like ooooooh you mean that red heap of crap that pulled up alongside me at the lights while i was groping my girlfriend and not paying any attention to when the lights changed?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hahahaha!!

stug i agree, vtec is suprisingly quicker than alot of people think!!!

my m8's got a focus rs and although that thing would rape my car it still keeps up very well for just a 1.6!

o yeah and i havnt got the badges on anymore, stil get old blokes trying to race me in their audi's and bm's tho haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts