Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a SOHC vtec and its clean and standard apart from a manifold. I wanted opinions on what i could do to gain alittle boost. Nothing big like turbo etc......Hit me up

·
Registered
18 Posts
it depends on how much you want to spend!! there's very little you can do to the SOHC VTEC engine to gain power, induction kit, porting the throttlebody, has been know you can use the B16 inlet manifold to gain a little power but don't quote me on that. other than that a slightly freer flowing exhaust but nothing rediculas as that'll reduce your backpressure which in turn will decrease your torque. But if your thinking of spending some money you could always build the engine up, i,e. pistons, sleeves, some head work etc etc, for for the price that'll cost you your better off getting a bigger engine and thats a whole new kettle of fish.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
^^^^^As above. It really depends on your budget as the SOHC isnt the best engine to mod unless your going supercharger or turbo. You could also go down the spray road..... Nitros???

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
It will make a difference BUT, for the cost to power ratio its nae that good unless you are really serious on getting power gains. However if you can gain some power here and there it all adds up in the end. If you've got a new manifold, im guessing you have a new power flow exhaust system as that will aid in the engine's serculation and get a small increase in power, also you can consider......

Lighting things. For example, light weight alloys, bonnet, door, quarter panels/wings, boot, replacing the glass with plastic, stripping out any excess weight and if you have a spare tyre thats a alloy either get rid of it or replace it with a space saver. Making your car lighter will not only improve MPG but it will help the car's overal accelaration. A lightweight fly wheel will aid this even further but too light and you will have trouble with idle. Erm...... anything else..... carbon drive shaft...... Thinks that about all really. Most of the things i mentioned wont increase your power but just make better use of the power you already have. As the lighter you are the faster you are.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts