Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 honda civic 1.6 petrol. the passenger side engine mount near timing belt is leaking some fluid. very small amount. there are no visible cracks and no movement or knocking from the mount. does this mount need changing. i have shown it to a few mechanics some say theres no liquid in engine mounts and its another problem but cant isolate it. others have said it doesnt need changing as long as theres no visible crack or knocking. i am worried about possible damage in the future if i dont change the mount. please advise further on civic engine mounts. please help

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
honda's use liquid filled mounts on their cars to improve the performance of the mounts. the mechanics you have showed it to have no idea about honda's. i would recommend changing it but they tend to be expensive. the mounts as long as they arent worn can work without the fluid in but tend to flex a lot more than they should. this can wear the other mounts and cause damage if not changed. take it to a dealer and get a mechanic to have a look. make sure they dont charge you. then go into the parts dept and find out how much they will cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your replies. the millage is 58000, and the price for the mount is £147.00 inclusive of vat from dealers. dealers have also qouted 45.00 to do a check on the vehicle. ill try and get a free mount check from them.
what about a mount from a breakers yard?
like i have said there is no visible wear on the mount at all and no play from the mount. could i possibly use some sealant to stop the leak?
i wont be using that paticular mechanic at all from now on. i should have walked away when he told me he USED to work at Quick Fit. i guess am the idiot.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
45 pounds they must have big windows in there w shop they can see you coming, they should look at the mount for free to give you a diagnosis , robbing sods "dealers suck end of" they play to much on the were the dealers and we know everything
load of crap , stealers not dealers

rant over ..

and sorry mate sealant wont fix it :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i know that a dealer wouldnt have been able to do the last repair on my car: anti roll bar drop links

you need to melt the plastic inside with a blowtorch and then weld a rod/bolt in order to undo the nuts holding it on!

the dealer would undo the bolt then think oh what are we going to do now then cry and charge you money!

£18 for both sides, £40 to a mate for 2 hours work, going to a dealer, priceless!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts