Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm driving a 2002 Civic diesel and recently I'd be driving and when I accelerate hard the engine fault light comes on and the power goes. I'm limited to 2000rpm until engine is turned off and restarted. All Honda would tell me is that "you need a new turbo" but my local garage said that the fault code was a "boost pressure fault".

Under the bonnet is a black UFO shaped object just to the L side of the EGR valve with a steel pipe heading off down the LHS of the engine and a rubber pipe off the top, disappearing down behind the engine. It looks like some sort of diaphragm operated valve and I suspect that the diaphragm is split; if I clamp the rubber hose, and accelerate hard, no fault / power loss occurs. Please could someone confirm whether this is the boost pressure sensor, and where I can get a new one - it has a number 01T331F on it, but an internet search doesn't return anything and I want to be sure that I get the right part. I am reluctant to go to Honda because in the past they have varies from unhelpful to downright rude!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

Did you get your problem sorted out.

I am having the same problem on my Civic 2003 1.7 CDTi. The error code came up as p1236, hope mine is not the turbo problem as it is now over 7 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes I appear to have cracked it - apologies for not getting back here sooner to say so!

Since is has been, on my car at least, an intermittent problem I decided that it was not the turbo (as Honda tried to convince me!) but more likely an electrical fault. When it went into limp home mode, I could switch off and next time I started up the light was still on but it would not be in limp home mode. After a while the light went out. It did it a couple of times then not at all for a year or so.
I tried cleaning up the MAP sensor (on the inlet manifold behind the engine) which was suggested by a pragmatic local garage, but that didn't seem to be the problem so I went round the engine (with help of Haynes manual) and disconnected all the main sensors one at a time (MAP, air flow sensor, manifold temp sensor, etc - there's a list of about 8 and they're mostly fairly easy to find) and reconnected them, disconnected and reconnected a few other electrical connectors in the engine compartment, cleaned up the three earth connections I could find (one on the LHS of the engine compartment and two behind the glovebox) and pulled out and reconnected all the relays I could find (three boxes in engine compartment and one under the steering column.

Something amongst that lot seems to have solved the problem.

It all took about an hour and is certainly worth trying before spending any money getting garages to look at it. Good luck!

btw, on some models you can manually clear the fault codes by pulling fuse 6 out for 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
You aint cracked it I'll bet money on it...

Try changing your fuel filter, I was getting the same problem before my last 12k service, god knows when it had been changed last but it did sort it out in the end. I farted about cleaning the EGR and even considered stripping the turbo as I thought the vanes had clogged but it was just a simple blocked fuel line which was restricting power and subsequently turbine flow. Whenever I had thought I'd cleared it it would be fne for a little while but would inevitably shit the bed at the worst possible moment, usually whilst overtaking :problem:

The black UFO is actually the EGR actuator, the rubber pipe is the vaccum line that runs to it from the turbo or wherever the hell it lives, best thing you can do is pull it out and bung it up with a machine screw or make a solid gasket up to block the EGR as it does cause a LOT of problems in the long run. You'll improve your power and fuel economy into the bargain! Do be warned though you'll get an engine error code but it comes and goes as it pleases, I'm not too worried as I intend to get mine completely mapped out anyway...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It still seems to be ok but thanks for the advice. Guess I ought to've changed the fuel filter before now anyway!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem and I am going to look to change the fuel filter. Where abouts is the fuel filter on the 1.7 ctdi 2003 plate Honda Civics?

Thanks

Squirrelking said:
You aint cracked it I'll bet money on it...

Try changing your fuel filter, I was getting the same problem before my last 12k service, god knows when it had been changed last but it did sort it out in the end. I farted about cleaning the EGR and even considered stripping the turbo as I thought the vanes had clogged but it was just a simple blocked fuel line which was restricting power and subsequently turbine flow. Whenever I had thought I'd cleared it it would be fne for a little while but would inevitably s**t the bed at the worst possible moment, usually whilst overtaking :problem:

The black UFO is actually the EGR actuator, the rubber pipe is the vaccum line that runs to it from the turbo or wherever the hell it lives, best thing you can do is pull it out and bung it up with a machine screw or make a solid gasket up to block the EGR as it does cause a LOT of problems in the long run. You'll improve your power and fuel economy into the bargain! Do be warned though you'll get an engine error code but it comes and goes as it pleases, I'm not too worried as I intend to get mine completely mapped out anyway...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi yes is the turbo vanes get stack and the ecu to protect the engine from over boost
go to limp mode well known proplem with this car and H O N D A aware thats why they
extent the warranty on the turbo to 7 years or 90000 miles
my car 2002 cdti need 4 times new turbo under the exent warranty before proplem
solve
Honda try to blame ny driving not fast /or frive in traffic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I need help with my Honda Civic 1.7cdti reg 04 Reg

About a month ago the engine warning light appeared on my dash and the car went into limp mode when I went above 60mph

If I stopped the car locked it left it for 30 seconds I could then drive the car as normal (no limp mode) until I got to 60mph

The RAC plugged in their diagnostics tool and 3 faults came up with EGR valve faults

My mechanic then ordered a new EGR valve from Honda fitted it and cleared the engine warning light

I took it down the road hit 60mph and the car went into limp mode but no engine warning light

When my mechanic plugged the diagnostics tool in a boost error appeared only

My mechanic is saying it could be the turbo but the turbo works fine up to 60mph
Anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I believe I have the same prob and just put a new post up,sorry, my fuel filter is not that old less than a year and the turbo is spooling up fine no excess of oil in intercooler pipes just a fine misting if you boot mine as I've just tried in fourth acellerated hard upto 70 then popped it into 5th engine lite came on and into limp mode switch it off five mins and good to go going on diagnostics Monday unles I can sort tomoz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just ordered new fuel filter , fit that tomoz fingers crossed, is it worth dropping some injector cleaner in there as well? T

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks squillelking you bang on the money, changed fuel filter, cleaned egr sensor with brake cleaner and put a one shot fuel system cleaner in took for a blast to get it all moving ,no issue,s at all did several down shifts. And then foot down again goe,s like stink. Cheers.if you have this problem try the above it,s not expensive at 12 quid for filter and two pounds for a one shot redex diesel system cleaner it save you pounds at the garage .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts