Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at buying a civic em2. The only one I found relatively near me is a 2003 model, the thing which worries me though is that it has 153k miles on it, although it comes with 1 year MOT. The car is cheap but I don't want to spend too much fixing it up. I only do around 3-4k miles a year so would this car be fine for a couple of years, or would it be wiser to steer clear of it? Also if I do decide to go look at it, is there anything specific to these civic's I should look out for?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit late but I happen to own an EM2, had it for several years now and just done over 145k miles.
After 2003 they stopped selling these cars in the UK and all future Honda coupes, so any year is good. Another thing is that they basically only sold 1 spec, the only difference between the 2001-03 models is some have a spoiler, and full leather seats are heated, so not much difference in what year it is.

I'll be honest with you, like most Honda's these things are bullet proof, that being said 153k miles is a lot when you don't own or know what the vehicle has gone through.
I wouldn't personally pay more than 400 maybe 450 for that millage, and the rest of the car would have to be in good condition.
If you are still interested in looking at it, there's nothing specific to this car to look out for.
Just make sure it's not been stupidly modified (cut springs, cold air intake, etc), unfortunately like every Honda some boy racer might have had it. Lucky mine was 1 owner from new and had been serviced every year at Honda (definitely check the log book).
Do an online MOT check, air con check and look at tyre makes, I'm sure you know this already.

They're great cars, not fast, but a little quicker than the standard hatchback.

Small side note, I hate 1 year MOTs as I was once screwed over on one by a dealer who had a car MOT that shouldn't have passes, but that's another story.
Don't let that last one put you of, only ever happened to me once, typical.
That was also many years ago before 1 year MOTs where as widespread.

Sorry to drone on.
Any more questions pls ask.

Extra: I've driven mine to France and Belgium, great economy; get rear parking sensors if you do get one, its difficult to judge where the car stops if you don't have the spoiler version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit late but I happen to own an EM2, had it for several years now and just done over 145k miles.
After 2003 they stopped selling these cars in the UK and all future Honda coupes, so any year is good. Another thing is that they basically only sold 1 spec, the only difference between the 2001-03 models is some have a spoiler, and full leather seats are heated, so not much difference in what year it is.

I'll be honest with you, like most Honda's these things are bullet proof, that being said 153k miles is a lot when you don't own or know what the vehicle has gone through.
I wouldn't personally pay more than 400 maybe 450 for that millage, and the rest of the car would have to be in good condition.
If you are still interested in looking at it, there's nothing specific to this car to look out for.
Just make sure it's not been stupidly modified (cut springs, cold air intake, etc), unfortunately like every Honda some boy racer might have had it. Lucky mine was 1 owner from new and had been serviced every year at Honda (definitely check the log book).
Do an online MOT check, air con check and look at tyre makes, I'm sure you know this already.

They're great cars, not fast, but a little quicker than the standard hatchback.

Small side note, I hate 1 year MOTs as I was once screwed over on one by a dealer who had a car MOT that shouldn't have passes, but that's another story.
Don't let that last one put you of, only ever happened to me once, typical.
That was also many years ago before 1 year MOTs where as widespread.

Sorry to drone on.
Any more questions pls ask.

Extra: I've driven mine to France and Belgium, great economy; get rear parking sensors if you do get one, its difficult to judge where the car stops if you don't have the spoiler version.
Thanks for all that insight. I'm in no rush to buy a car, so I think I will just wait till one with less mileage appears for sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts