Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys - hoping you can help me with an electrical problem which is driving me nuts!

Car: 1994 3dr Esi 1.6

Problem: Battery is drianing. Despite having a new battery, plus a new alternator is still seems to loose energy each day. Seems to drain very quickly if I plug in and use my headunit and sound system.

When battery gets low the central locking on the passenger side gets stuck and engine start becomes sluggish.

Have dis-connected the battery earth while the engine was running to see if the alternator was powering the elecrics okay without using the battery - all seemed to be okay. Although I noticed the headunit would switch off for a second if I turned the lights on or if the radiator fan switched on - is this normal?

I've also noticed the clock display dims heavily when the headlights are turned on - is this normal for 5th gen Civics?

Alternator appears to be giving charge to the battery - according to my garage.

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated - driving me mental having to charge the battery every week >:-(

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
still sounds like the alternator or something related with the charging , and you should never disconnect the battery with the engine running that will only make things worse the alternator needs power into it to get power out thats how they work ,
is the battery light coming on the dash when you turn the ignition on then going out completely ie. not glowing or anything,

what voltage are you getting at the battery terminals with the engine running at idle you should have over 13.5v ideally 14.4v, then with the engine at 2k switch everything on then take a reading at the battery again if its below 13volts you have a problem you should be able to maintain 13.5v no problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you got any sort of aftermarket alarm??

I did when i bought the car and it was switched to silent and used to randomly trigger in the night causing the battery to drain completely nearly every night! >:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you got any sort of aftermarket alarm??
No had that removed - although that was draining the battery. Had an old immboliser removed and a new one fitted.

Will test everything tomorrow and let you know the results - still perplexing me >:-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tested the voltages at the battery terminals:

idle with noithing on: 12.14v

2k with everything on: 11.35v

Well below 13.5 on both :(

Its a brand new alternator and battery - any ideas? dodgy connection somewhere? >:-(

Any and all help greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery light goes out when it should - will check the pulley and connections.

Looks like its going back into the garage again >:-(

Thanks for the help - will let you know what it was when I finally sort it 8-|

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it all sorted! :D

Mechaninc replaced the earth between the battery and the engine block, plus between the alternator and the engine block.

Everytning works now 8-|

Thanks again for the help Paul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts