Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CIVIC EXECUTIVE - 18000 miles
Hi, my car is an 05 plate civic executive which I just bought after having owned 5 other civics since 1990.
They have all steered like the proverbial train and I have liked them all to drive except this one solely because it is fittted with an abonimable electric power steering system, which means the driver has to constantly keep very slight pressure on the wheel, first one way, then the other and so on for ever more.
Christ sake, the last motor I drove like that was a '89 Nissan Bluebird with worn trackrod ends !
Does anyone know of a fix to this problem please ?
The salesman at Ash in Dorchester said it sounded like it was normal for this system - gssshh !
As far as I know Honda no longer use this on 06 and later Civics - maybe they know something I did not B4 I spent my hard earned savings ?

Comments welcomed.

Esshbee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your reassurance , Paul, I am going to drive 2 other civic executives with similar spec. shortly to compare steering characteristics.
This is the first time i have driven an electric power steering car and i am not impressed so far !

As i said before my driving experience is quite comprehensive and includes a 20 ton (gross) BMC Mastiff with a perkins v8 lump / hydraulic PS - steered perfectly (1971) - when i was young and since then loads of cars - 504 estate - TVR Tuscan - Mini - Toyota - Honda (now on my 6th ) plus many others and this Civic exec. is very imprecise in its steering.

Do any other civics (pre 2006) have this electric system ? >

·
Registered
5 Posts
esshbee said:
CIVIC EXECUTIVE - 18000 miles
Hi, my car is an 05 plate civic executive which I just bought after having owned 5 other civics since 1990.
They have all steered like the proverbial train and I have liked them all to drive except this one solely because it is fittted with an abonimable honda parts electric power steering system, which means the driver has to constantly keep very slight pressure on the wheel, first one way, then the other and so on for ever more.
Christ sake, the last motor I drove like that was a '89 Nissan Bluebird with worn trackrod ends !
Does anyone know of a fix to this problem please ?
The salesman at Ash in Dorchester said it sounded like it was normal for this system - gssshh !
As far as I know Honda no longer use this on 06 and later Civics - maybe they know something I did not B4 I spent my hard earned savings ?
Comments welcomed.

Esshbee
The use of electric systems simplifies vehicle assembly and frees up space in the engine compartment. He's right, why not try the Hydraulic steering? For some benefits of electric power steering was the fuel economy compared to hydraulic systems that pump fluid all the time the engine is running.

·
Registered
125 Posts
have you done the official honda EPS return to center check :eek:

witch is to drive stright at 10mph for 2 seconds turn wheel through 90degs hold for 2 seconds then release hands from steering wheel after 2 seconds record how far the wheel returened

do this left and right at 10 mph and again at 20 mph

this is the test honda do to determine if a new rack and electric motor are needed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi esshbee, see my post under "steering rack".
I am convinced that Honda are fully aware of this steering rack problem but they will not admit to it.
The new rack on my dad's car is better but not brilliant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesss Jesus..I have an 03 civic sport, it has electric power steering!! I find it can be sticky at times, especially on the motorway when I'm going straight, I constantly have to keep moving it so slightly left and right to keep it straight? I've had the pump checked and apparently it looks ok and no leaks..I've only just bought this civic, had a polo before and the steering is alot heavier in comparison! Apparently the civics before had power steering like air and people complained it was too light and this was Hondas comeback..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately a common problem with many 01-05 civics it appears!
If you do a forum search you will find similar complaints - an example here:
http://www.hondacivicforum.co.uk/32-7th-gen/27078-sticky-steering.html

My sons 2003 1.4 Civic had this problem but bought privately in 2010 (with only 19,000 miles on) so tough otherwise I would have had it back to the garage. I got him another car recently and have taken the civic back off him and I am now looking to solve the problem before selling on as it is in great condition otherwise!

I have tried the various solutions that you will find on here (or on the civic type R forum) including lubricating the rack/slider insitu by pushing back the rubber boot and wd40 on the torque sensor mechanicals at the base of the steering column. I now have taken the rack out in the last few days to refurbish it - not a quick job.

The basic faults with my car is (1) the steering does not self centre properly and (2) you have to constantly input corrections to keep the car in a straight line - most noticeable at speed on motorways etc. which is a pain.

My view is this is a fault on the car that Honda knew about and when pushed would have had to replace the rack under warranty. If you bought from a garage I would make them sort it and not stand for the "they are all like it" fobbing off. Get them to drive it and they will soon understand the problem but getting them to sort it may be another thing.

Refurbished racks are £300 ish and new nearer £1000.

Good Luck
Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just found these refurbished racks from europarts - £143??
Anyone used them before and any experience of Q-Drive seem cheap compared to BBA at £325/£425.
Not sure why the difference in price so asked them to explain, presumably the 2nd one is with and without exchange.

Q-Drive Steering Rack Part No.: 602600031
£143.94
Honda Civic 1.4 (2003)
The steering rack reacts to the movement of the steering wheel alt ... Learn more...

Non-Stock Item - Available to Order (Usually Dispatched in Upto 6 Weeks*)

Driver Position For right-hand drive vehicles Operating Mode Electric Fitted Quantity 1

Q-Drive Steering Rack Part No.: 602600032
£215.94
Honda Civic 1.4 (2003)
The steering rack reacts to the movement of the steering wheel alt ... Learn more...
Actual cost: £323.94
Non-Stock Item - Available to Order (Usually Dispatched in Upto 6 Weeks*)

Driver Position For right-hand drive vehicles Operating Mode Electric Fitted Quantity 1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts