Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi from a newbie ! i need to find out what is the best / cheapest base car to build a rally car from ???

do i buy a cheap 3 door and start from there or does it have to be a vti / ek9, i have a b16 a engine with cams / throttle bodies etc, and a dog box / plate diff, the real question is the suspension arms / hubs / brakes specifications.

if i bought a cheap auto, 3 door , no sunroof how much of the suspension arms / hubs front and rear brakes would need changing to get to a decent spec, or would it make sense to just buy a more sporty model from the start ???

cheers in advance

p.s money is a factor as i only have 9 grand at the moment !

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
With 9 grand you could build yourself hell of a car! An EK or an EG would make great bases. If it were me I would buy the cheapist one going strip it all down and build it from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers, thats my plan i think, am i right in saying that a 1.8 vti has the biggest brakes, the same as an ek9 type r 280 mm front 260 mm rear ?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The 1.8 VTI is a 4 door saloon or 5 door hatch (i think) so its not really what you want for rallying. I take it you intend to do road rallys?

I'm pretty sure someone who has one of these will be able to confirm the sizes of the brakes, I'm a 3 door hatch guy really so don't know a lot about the bigger Civics!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the plan is to buy a 3 door without a sunroof, get a weld in cage fitted, get the engine and box fitted, then go stage rallying(had novas and 205's before, north west + btrda class winner)

obviously want the best brakes suspension geometry possible(budget permitting), so trying to work out the best option, seen front and rear hubs/brakes/calipers/top arms from a type r for 550, but also seen the same from a 1.8 vti 350, and they seem to be the same diameter discs.

are they the same, and are they good prices, thats what i'm trying to find out

cheers

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
its possible to fit the wheels hubs and driveshafts from a 1.8 vti into a 3 door chassis. crxhugh has a 1.8 in his 3 door. it might be advantageous to get a 1.8vti 5 door and get the front running gear from it for your car.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
[youtube:2c8d95eo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Njnj7CyFKM[/youtube:2c8d95eo]

I shot this vid a few months ago at The Granite City Rally

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Thought you might enjoy that one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts