Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Had put this in the 5th Gen tech section but wasnt getting any views and need this done before Friday!***

Got myself a SiR and it failed MOT on rear foglight not working

The car had an MOT when i got it so there must be one fitted on there somewhere else it was a dodge MOT

I have a switch retrofitted next to my handbrake and the light on it only comes on whilst the main beams are on but i cant see anything coming on when i do flick the switch

Few questions then:

1) Which light is most likely connected to this switch if it is a fog?
2) If it isnt a fog which is the best way of installing one?

Can you still get the little square bumper mounted ones from Halfords?

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Aaron

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Right if i was you i would retro fit a red bulb into your O/S reverse light that way you dont have to put one of those gash fog lamps on or under the bumper ,
if that switch illuminates with main beam it was more than likely for spot lights ,
or does it illuminates with dip beam if so thats good for a rear fog ,the wire for it will surely be in the boot somewhere all you have to do is find out on the O/S rear light which wire goes live in reverse cut this wire then join your fog light wire to it replace the reverse light bulb with the red one and job done.
make sure you then insulate the one you cut that was going to reverse light as its goes live when in reverse.
at a later date you can then get a red led bulb off ebay or such like instead of the red bulb,
hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its cold out there!
Had to change my rear seatbelt for MOT aswell so the car interior is currently in bits.
Ive had a mini breakthrough, i see a wire coming from the switch, goes under the rear seats, past the off side suspension turret and through to the tailgate and into the cluster with the reverse light. It ends with a spade connector exactly like the reverse light one some im guessing it is for a fog light but i need some jiggery pokery to get it working. Swapped the spade connectors hoping i could control the O/S reverse light nothing nothing happened. I still get a light on the switch coming on but flicking the switch doesnt do anything. there is a yellow wire coming from the switch aswell and i think a third wire, could red wire be connection to bulb, yellow wire be power and this third wire also need connecting to somewhere under the dash?
I can brave the cold again to get some pics?

Edit:

this is the switch

As you can see light comes on when main lights are on and also sidelights

Only two wires not the three wires i thought it had, red goes to the rear cluster, yellow goes toward front of car

pic of the O/S rear cluster with the reverse light in it, loose spade connector is the red wire from the switch
connected this up but all that happens is the light doesnt come on whether switch is on or not?

Its a puzzle! Im hoping i am 95% the way to getting a working fog but im stumped atm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUUUCCCCEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! Just as simple as i hoped, took off the handbrake trim and there was a pretty little red wire with no one to hug, slapped him back on the switch and happy days i can control my O/S reverse light

Now whats best, get a red bulb or paint my bulb red? I read on an MOT forum that the fog needs to be labelled REAR FOG or something?

Thanks to Paul for replies!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
great job ,
i would get a red bulb for now and put an led bulb in after as led bulbs look white when off so you cant see it in the reverse light
you definately dont need anything else, or for it to say fog light , mot testing is part of my job (to much of it sometimes it gets a bit boring) so you will be good to go mate.

ps . painting the bulb red will make it too dim and it isnt that effective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts