Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be lucky enough to have had the pop up cup holders already in your EG Civic. Others, like myself are not so lucky.
Here is a DIY write up of where to get them, how to install them, and how to (most importantly) MOD them!

First off, you need to get your hands on the cup holder itself, if you haven't seen them, they come as a complete unit and look like this..

Above is the actual unit that I bought.
The first thing you will notice is the terrible colour. If your lucky, you will get one that matches your interior.. I wanted to paint mine so it made no difference. :p

The first thing i did was take it apart, completely. Then I set about spraying it to match my car.
(See Painting Interior Parts)

Between coats, you can move the mini project along by sorting out the lighting.
I chose to use two 10mm LED's as I already had a bag of them, also I chose white, rather than blue as they will be on show slightly when the lid if open.
I chose to place the LEDs here:

I think that locating them here, creates a nice enough glow, and as its behind the drinks (when in use) the light doesn't shine in your eye when driving.
Drill the 2 holes, using the same size drill bits as your LEDs (remember you don't have to use 10mm, 5 or even 3 will be fine)
Use a hot glue gun to secure your LEDs, making sure that you only push the led into the hole enough that the tip of the led is flush with the bit of plastic holding it, this way, it wont interfere with the pop up mechanism.

Connect the whole unit back together and take it to the car :D

To fit the pop up cup holder, you need to take out the panel surrounding your gear stick. (if you know how to do this skip this part)
To get the panel out, firstly take off your Gear knob. Then take out the 2 Cross Head screws on the sides of the panel at the front, beside where the cup holder will eventually be.
Next, pop out the small bolt cover underneath the Hand Brake Handle. Undo the 2 Bolts and slid the whole unit forward, up and out.

Once you have it out, flip it over and at the front there are 4 Cross Head screws, holding the panel on where the cup holder will go. Take these out, pop out the blank piece and Screw your freshly painted Cup Holder, into the unit.

Run your wires for the LED's to your chosen live and negative sources. (I wired mine into the cigarette lighter, and into a switch which I mounted on the panel under my steering wheel column.)

Once you have tested that your LEDs all work fine, reverse the removal process and enjoy :D

Here is mine..

Any Questions, leave a comment. Ryan :p

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep :) just about though.. the straws touch the center console above but they dont fall over on harsh corners or anything.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
um.. about £20 i think.. was a while back mate.
Then i got mixed paint from halfrauds and did the work myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!, just wondering if its got a part number on or anything as i tryed to order one off honda but they want a part number?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wouldnt go to honda for these mate.. check ebay.. if not, try a scrap yard.. they are quite had to get hold of though..
I cant get you a part number without taking them out sorry.. if i do in the near future for any reason i'll check it for ya..

·
Registered
943 Posts
If anyone is wondering where to get they're hands on these I managed to pick one up on eBay in grey to match my interior.

They cost around £20 and come from America but the £20 includes your shipping as well so well worth it imo.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %26otn%3D4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks for the manual M8,
i will not be fitting leds in mine, but will use the bit about fitting this in:)
i got mine from the US (ebay ofcourse) for around $55 shipped, cheap as chips i reckon :p

oh, and its black 3:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts