Honda Civic Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1105 Posts

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Re: Effi's EJ6 - Exhaust Pics 25/02/12

Sorry mate forgot to add, the group buys come up every now and then on CL but its down ATM. Look in the PPW section ;) I seem to remember it being around the £320 mark for a brace and ARB including all mounting hardware.

All good to know mate, I'll have a look in to it. Its going to be interesting to see how it handles now the alignment is sorted, I can now actually start evaluating the handling and pointing out what I do and don't like as its been a year since I've been running the camber for stance so it'd difficult to accurately evaluate it.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083

I'm just hoping my drivers licences comes back in time, was up for renewal and after it taking ages to come back I chased it up to find out they'd never received it so had to do it all over again and it looks unlikely it'll be with me in time so my track time may be up for sale :( Fingers crossed, as you say it'll be a great place to evaluate it, although I am fortunate to have some very good roads round here that I've been brought up driving on so they are good places to get some feedback from.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Ah nooo. Fingers crossed for you bud, that would be a real pain. You should try and come along to the next propper track day I go to (dunno when that will be mind as I have no money lol) Would be sick to get some more Honda peeps to mess around on track with.

Oh an I found these: American company, dispatching from Germany, not to bad a price even with delivery - ASR Brace

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,085

Yeah it would be a pain mate. I'd love to mate, been having some serious talks with my stepdad about some track days along with getting a unit to store and work on our cars, if I can keep him focused on this (very difficult with work lol) you'll definitely see us at some track days, me and the coupe and him and his full track prepped E36 saloon.

That is a good price, I'll PM you mate ;)

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086

I went on the Donington Park circuit whilst at JapFest at the weekend. I was quite impressed with the car, it handled very well with a little understeer at times but all fully controllable. I do need to get my ARB's sorted ASAP to sort out the rear end lift going in to corners, perhaps a little more camber on the rear would be helpful too. Despite this I was carrying some really good speed through the corners allowing me to get past a number of cars on the exit but it could definitely be improved.

The main problem I experienced was my brakes, I had been using them hard and by the 2nd to last lap as I headed into the chicane I experienced a lot of brake fade, I had been getting a warning smell that the brakes were going to go and was experiencing diminishing returns for my pedal input but had held out hope they would last the session, this was not to be. I managed to run off on to an unused section of the circuit and scrub some speed before I could get out (after asking a Marshall) to have a look to see my pads smoking away. I took the last lap of the session very steady and used it to cool the car down and wind down a bit myself. After the brakes had cooled and a few stops to clears the pads and disk they are fine again for normal use.

I now need to address the issues with the brakes, it does seem it was the pads that were struggling and the disks seem to have been fine. I have been using Comma DOT4 fluid, for starters I think it may be time to upgrade to a better brand. I have considered my options regarding upgrades, some saying the 262's are fine with a better pad such as a Mintex M1144 or DS2500 but I'm still not confident that 262's are worth investing the money in. Its going to cost me £90 for fast road pads but I already have the calipers and MC from a MB6 and just need the discs and pads and I've got an overall better braking setup with better heat dispersion and an overall larger friction area so I think its worth spending a bit more to get a setup that will last longer on the track and is a step forward rather than making do with upgrades to my current setup.

Sorry for the long post. Any input welcomed.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Glad you had fun on track mate :thumbup: It's always a tonne of fun and great for find faults in your car's set up.

As for brakes, I'd deffo suggest the 282mm front 260mm rear from an MB6/EK9/DC2. Those calipers added to some good pads (Ds2500's are really highly rated) will help you lots. Will also be worth cutting some slots on the inside of your wheel arch trim to fire air onto the back of the brakes.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088

Yeah it was brilliant, you never really get to go flat out, or is it safe to do so, on the road so it was great to know I could really have a good blast and push the car.

I've got a EK4 rear setup that needs refurbishing before its fitted. I'm pretty settled on the 282 upgrade, for the time being I'll run standard OEM spec disk and put OEM spec pads on for now as they are cheaper and still a reasonable upgrade, come next year when I plan to do more track time I'll go for something such as the DS2500. At the moment that £125ish can be used better elsewhere. I'm ordering a number of parts today, found some HEL braided lines for £35.00 delivered, lucky find on eBay. Also going to get the MG ZR180 discs and EK9 pads and a calliper rebuild kit for the fronts, hopefully can borrow my stepdads blast cabinet soon to clean them up properly and give them a good spray. Do it right, do it once, should be another worry off my mind for a while apart from the pad upgrade.

I'm going to have a look in to getting some air in to the brakes, possibly in to ducting or the like, when I am under the car next.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Yeah that all sounds good. Think the standard discs will do fine mate! Your slips can fit 282mm behind them can't they?

Hel braided lines are good, put them on mine, Make the pedal feel much better. I'm only running EBC redstuff on mine at the moment, thought they would be a good intermediate between road and track, but sadly not lol. They are fine on the road, but can't take the heat on the track! I'll be investing in some DS2500's soon as these ones run out, or if I start doing more track time.

One note about brake ducting, I've found since making the holes for the brakes to breathe the inside of my rims get caked in dirt alot easier when driving in shitey weather! So be prepared to have to clean them alot more. Just another downside to having a track car as a daily.

·
Registered
835 Posts

my rear end setup with bwr brace, d2 lcas, ek9 arb and superpro poly arb bushes weighed in at £362 altogether the difference it made was worth every penny imo, bearing in mind the rest of my suspension is standard i think you'd notice an even better improvement. just feels so much more planted through roundabouts and understeer is alot more easily controlled than it was before just a slight lift and you feel the front start tucking in again, dont lift to hard or it tends to snap a bit at higher speeds though.

My mate runs ds2500,s on his Leon Cupra R and absolutely loves them and i havnt seen any bad reports about them on hondas either.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091

Yeah my Slips will take 282's no worries.

I'm really interested in some DS2500's but after some though I'm definitely going to go for OEM spec pads for starters, I want to see what the difference is in real world terms, if I go for the 282 upgrade and put the DS2500's on straight away I'll have no real comparison between the 2 setups. The pads for OEM spec are £30ish and I don't mind spending that on some pads I'll use for 6 months and then have a real review I can give between the OEM spec and the DS2500's.

I'm really eager to sort the rear ARB setup, hearing some great things about it and I definitely need to sort out the back end as, other than the brakes, it was the thing that I noticed the most on track.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093

Sorry for the slow reply mate. The coilovers were fine on the track, I upped the damping on them to account for the smoother surface. If anything I think I'd possibly look at increasing the spring rate in the future but for the time being thats very far down the list, my next stage of suspension mods are going to have a much much larger impact on the handling.

My recent pruchases include:
EK9 Rear ARB
Rear ARB SuperPro Bushes
Rear OEM Spec Droplinks
Blackworks Racing Gold Rear Subframe Brace
Blackworks Racing Rear Adjustable Toe Arms
Blackworks Racing Magnetic Sump & Gearbox Plugs

The above, especially the ARB, are the next setup in suspension modifications for some time I think. I've been holding off on putting the EK9 front ARB on without having the rear as it'd just increase my understeer. I'm looking forward to getting my toe arms on as one bolt is seized which meant I couldn't get the exact camber I wanted on one side the rear as the toe couldn't be adjusted so both sides had to be matched at neutral camber, once these are on I'll be sorting the rear camber and toe, probably around 1.5° camber, not sure on toe yet, I need to do some more reading.

I can't wait to get the full ARB upgrades completed as this is going to give me a huge improvement in handling and should result in even better cornering, which was the main advantaged I seemed to have on my short track session making up for my lower power quite well. I've also got to finish of painting up the 282 upgrades but once this is done the main weakness I noticed on track, the brakes couldn't take the heat, I'll have much better braking force, control and heat tolerance.

After the above I will FINALLY get my wheels painted the colour I want!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095

Its simply money mate, I could source the BWR in Gold for £145 instead of £180, plus the guy I bought from did me a better price on the other BWR Toe Arms and Magnetic Plugs. I like the look of them and they do the trick and decided to be sensible rather than scene with my purchase.

The wheels are going a bronze colour, I'm pretty sure on the exact colour but I'll keep that schtum at the moment lest I ruin the surprise ;)

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Sounds like a solid reason to me! I'm going for the Blackworks Brace and LCA's. Was trying to buy them last week but because of the whole Parcelforce fiasco, I can't afford them till it's sorted! Maybe I'll wait till yours is all fitted so you can give me your verdict.

Ahhh yes, I remember you mentioning something about bronze a while back. Should look good man!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098

Hey Sam. I've only just received the undamaged rear brace and I'm seriously lacking time to work on the car as work is pretty intensive and as I've had an offer accepted on a house everything is geared towards that ATM.

With Danny's fund, despite how I'd like things to be its not worked out that way. I need to send your donation back mate, its hugely appreciated but its just not meant to be unfortunately. I'll sort it this week mate, again I can't express how much it meant to me that you were behind me on it, your a good lad!

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts

Yea read about your troubles on the GBT thread, right PTA that, glad you got a good one in end. Defo feel ya on the time constraints, since getting the flat with Marie, the car has taken a back seat, been busy most weekends plus now getting into winter where you go to work in dark and come home in dark so there just isn't any time. Now all settled in and getting time back, all will resume in spring, tho there are some jobs that must be done before winter, so will have to bear the cold. :thumbup:

Really sorry to hear about the fund :( Hopefully in the future when you have more space and time something may be possible.

1081 - 1100 of 1105 Posts