Honda Civic Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1105 Posts

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
Re: Effi's EJ6 - Exhaust Pics 25/02/12

Those are ridiculously cheap. Don't quite understand that myself. Might have to snap one up at that price!

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Yeah I feel like there has to be some catch. They are also selling Skunk2 LCA's for £100, could get everything I need for my rear set-up for £250 then! I'm hoping my old wheels will sell this week so I can get involved.

Are you pretty set on turning this into a performance based machine now then Effi mate?

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065

I've looked at the auction is says "Place of Origin: Taiwan" and I though ASR were USA made? I could be assuming though. It just worries me when something seems too cheap to be true that these could be knock-offs, if they are a knock-off and substandard quality then I'm still gonna end up ripping the subframe apart. Although for that price maybe its worth a poke and see how they look once received, however I could be left with an expensive bit of metal with no other use.

I am pretty focuses on getting to to perform well, after changing the engine and raising the suspension a bit I'm just really enjoying the car again. I miss the look of the split rims and lows but I don't miss the constant fear of ripping the exhaust of bumper off or having to go slow down all B roads, I can actually use the power I have rather than waste it. The car will still keep its seats and audio for the foreseeable future however I will be looking to get everything geared towards performance now.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,066

Found this link http://www.asrparts.com/about/

Looks like they hint toward being made in the USA however it seems that the design and CAD etc is done in the USA without specifically mentioning where it is made, although one of the pictures shows a brace stamped with "Made in the USA"

[attachment=0:2nd96lu9]ASR.jpg[/attachment:2nd96lu9]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

I did love the way your car look on the splits, but it's important to enjoy your car! Plus car fashions come and go - performance never goes out of style!

I know what you mean, the cheapest I'd seen else where was £170. I suppose even if it is a knock off, as long as it's not some shitty quality aluminium it would work fine? It says it's "Forged and precisely CNC machined from 6061-T6 billet aluminum" so it should still do the job even if it's not genuine. If it does break, then it obviously isn't what it says it is and the seller can be done for false advertising!

*Edit* Just messaged the guy, he says it comes exactly how you see it in the picture. Only thing missing is the fitting instructions apparently. I'm pretty tempted :think:

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068

The thing is its easy to copy and paste the spec from ASR and then when you have it it hard to prove the quality of the material. I've done some searching and found this http://stickydiljoe.com/2010/03/30/seri ... me-braces/ Very interesting, I'm asking the guy if it comes with all the mounting equipment and in the original ASR packaging etc. See what he comes back with, also following the above link I think I could find out if its real quite quickly before I put it on the car and then just claim through PayPal for him selling fake stuff. It may be completely legit it just worries me its a little too good to be true at nearly half the price.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

Good link. Got to love Stickdiljoe and the chronicles stuff!

I think I might do the same as you there Effi mate. Or you could be the guinea pig if you like? lol

I wouldn't care if it was a fake if it wasn't for the fact the quality might suffer, I'm not a brand whore but stuff has to work correctly and safely!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070

Thats the focus for me, not really a brand whore but as its supposed to be fitted to stop me from tearing my subframe a fake one could result in me doing just that and then its a really expensive fix!

Gonna give him a chance to get back to me, I've asked some pretty specific questions and if he knows hes selling a fake he knows I know it.....however if he's selling legit stuff I'm sure he'd be happy to reassure me.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071

Had my reply mate. Its a fake.

"Yes, there's all necessary hardware(grade: 8.8) and mounts, as in shown photo.
It's brand new. But doesn't come in original ASR box due it's made in Taiwan. "

I've said to him "So this isn't an offical ASR brace, its a replica?"

Gonna see what he says now. This is a suspension related component and is intended to strengthen the subframe, someone could be caught out by his legitimate looking advert and buy something which simply won't perform as intended. I will let him reply then I think I should spread the work to warn others.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075

Yeah they are a much nicer price for the same thing really. I'd like an ASR but struggle to justify the price, the blackworks ones look good as well but I'd love an ASR still.

The only problem with the BWR one is that it doesn't have the arch in the middle for clerance, however I don't think that would really be a problem for me now.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

At least you already have some aftermarket LCA's so you don't have to fork out for those at the same time! I think if you really want an ASR you should save up man. It's only like £50 difference and if you'd be happier with it, then it's worth saving for IMO.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077

Fair point mate, may just save up some more and get the ASR set of brace and ARB on a group buy over on that other site from PPW.

I've just spoke to the garage my cars been in today and all the alignment has been done. I've not been happy with the settings for a while, they were required when running my deep dishes but now its just ruining the handling. it turns out I was running -3.5° Front / -3.2° Rear (I'd dialled some of the rear out myself) and now its sat on -1.5° Front / -0.3° Rear. 0.1° Toe all round. Looking forward to picking it up after work and going for a drive, although its been raining out :(

Edit - Updated the readings now I have the paperwork. Got a couple of things to that do need addressing sooner rather than later, the rear toe is seized on one side and the Buddy Club rear camber arm was stuck in position so I need to remove that and free it up and then take it back in just for the rears to be reset.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

How much is the group buy coming in at? Got any links?

haha, that's quite abit of camber for a none stance car. New set up should feel alot more planted. Personally I'd of opted for a very small amount of front Toe out, just a fractional amount increases the cars eagerness to turn in. How much rake you running?

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079

Should be pretty neutral on rake now, thats what I've aimed for as I'm not a fan of the raked look TBH and I do like to follow some aesthetic pleasure's, like a Gold ASR brace ;)

I did consider playing with toe but thats something I'll sort further down the line as I'm going to slowly go round renewing all parts such as the track rode ends and changing my rear toe arms for adjustables. Until I've sorted the front and rear ARB's I don't want to play with the toe, plus with a Coupe and a bit more rear end weight a bit too much turn in will result in a back end more eager to shift on corner entry.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts

A little bit of Rake is usefull, like 10mm. Not particularly visible but helps the back end. I say the more lively the back end the better in a FWD car! Obviously you don't want unpredictable levels on lift off, but since FWD tend to understeer and Oversteer is so easy to correct I always think it's sensible to try and create oversteer. However that is just my driving style, I prefer having to apply a little bit of oposite when lifting off for a fast corner!

1061 - 1080 of 1105 Posts