Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1105 Posts

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1999 EJ6 Coupe Project.....Time for a Change!

Currently she stands adorned in a full Delta 4 Bodykit, front and rear bumpers, side skirts, bonnet, smoothed boot, lambo doors, 19" Konig Tuner 2's etc but my enjoyment for this has been and now passed, its time for a new path to be taken and together me and the Coupe are going on a mission. Some pics below of how she currently stands......

Some of you may have noticed little hints dropped here and there over recent weeks about the new direction I am going with my Coupe. I've been steadily collecting the parts I need like the standard front and rear bumpers, the bonnet (which are surprisingly hard to find for a facelift) and finally I got my hands on the new engine on Saturday.......the D16Y8 from a EJ8 SR Coupe.

Now if I'm doing something I have to do it right, granted its not a B16/B18/H22 but this isn't meant to be the project to end all projects, its a learning curve, a step in the right direction, a time for me to show some love to make up for the last few months of standing whilst hunting for the parts ready to hit it hard and come back with something completely different to the current look.

Last night was spent tidying the garage and making it homely, this is where I am going to be spending the next couple of weeks of my life so speakers were taken in for my phone to run through, a comfy camping seat, my gas heater and a place for the beers to sit keeping cool. The next step...............deciding where to start. Now this wasn't easy, there are bits that need finishing on the bumpers, the bonnet could do with a good clean but with the engine sitting there I couldn't resist introducing it to my ratchet set and begin taking parts off. The first thing was to remove the fuel rail so I could access the bolts for the intake manifold, the bolts are either a 10mm or 12mm head, a universal joint is helpful but not essential, all the bolts were lined up nicely on a sheets of paper with their locations detailed to help putting it all back together. Once the rail and injectors were off I set about removing the intake, came off easy as pie and with a few more bolts for brackets removed it was ready to be wire brushed. As you can see below, its in fair condition but can always be improved.

I sat myself down with a John Smiths (or 4 ;)) at my side and started the 3 hour process of wire brushing the various nooks, crannies and holes in sight. A few slips, some cuts and some swearing later and it was starting to show a great improvement. As you can see below its starting to shine, some way to go yet but the effort is paying off.

Its not until you take on a task that you realise what bits and tools you're missing, a flap wheel or 10 with varying grades would be nice and I could do with some gunk to clean the block so they have been added to the shopping list along with the inlet manifold gasket, throttle gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and rocker cover gasket.......I can see the costs mounting up already but she's worth it ;)

Well thanks for looking guys, the story shall continue as the days go by, looking forward to the weekend now , 2 days of solid work :mrgreen:

Despite my attempt to plan ahead I have some questions and hopefully you guys can help.
1/ What product would you guys recommend to flush the inlet manifold to make sure its clean of all the debris from the cleaning? There is one sensor left as you can see in the pics but I can't figure out how to remove it and without my haynes manual (lost somewhere in the shed, finding it is on my list of things to do) I'm stumped as to what it is.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Re: EJ6 - The Build has finally begun......

I can't wait for this dude, I'll be keeping a close eye over the build up! :D With regards to cleaning the inside of the manifold I've only heard of people scraping out the crap with a wire brush, not come across a particular solution for flushing it out.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Already given it a bit of a scrape out but wondered if there was a product that I could soak it in for example.

The plans I have are to make it quite similar to the one in my sig, but nothing yet set in stone, I'm talking to the bodyshop at the weekend and test fitting the rims.....think 8.5" rears and 8" fronts in 15's might need a little "persuasion" to fit lol

·
Registered
49 Posts

This sounds funnier the more i've thought about it...now obviously I've not been a member for long,but been reading a lot of posts - and I never expected your car to look like that Effi. Surprised almost! :D Nice effort thou. not my style, but now even more intruigued bout the new project!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I've had the car looking like this for a number of years now, admittedly it does go against the general idea people would get from the advice I give out here but in essence it does stick to it, I've followed my own advice with Skunk2 coilies, Toyo Tyres etc etc, I just bend the rules a little lol. Although I love the car how it looks I've grown out of the style and the new path will be more true to my current attitudes.

Unfortunately despite getting a good start I've been working away for the last 2 nights so I've not move it any further but I'm looking forward to the weekend which should hopefully move it forward a fair bit. Will get plenty of pics and keep you guys updated, can't wait to see if the rims fit *fingers crossed* as otherwise I'll be getting some other rims made up :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts

@ civicdoddie i thought the same about Effi's car when i first saw it on here so your not the only 1 lol

and Effi i'll be keeping a eye on the thred too goodluck with it all hope all these little jobs dont take you too long or sicken you i know they all take forever found that out with my mini lol but allways remember Rust is lighter than metal lol

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well over the weekend I started sorting the bumpers out and preparing them for respray into the lovely Silver Vogue. The back bumper was in good nick but the front was stone chipped like mad so I smoothed all that off, then thought I may as well smooth the number plate fixing holes off whilst I was at it. Popped a skin of fibreglass over the back of the holes and along the inside of the bumper to give it a bit rigidity to make sure the filler in the holes wouldn't crack.

Looking much better with the holes filled but had a bit of moment of doubt and now can't decide if I actually want to offset my numberplate on the front to the right of keep it central......think some test fits need to be done to decide but that can be done later once its sprayed up and back on the car.

Hopefully get some pics up tonight, depending if this guys gets back to me about collecting my replacement standard boot lid to replace my smoothed lid tonight.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

I have already said this to you but if i knew you were after OEM parts for your coupe sooner you could have got the boot off me gutted because it was in such good nick and im sure the guy that got it just scrapped it. :( Cant wait to see the end result though. :)

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Rub it in lol TBH was my fault for not keeping an eye on the section and giving you a shout sooner. Ah well, still coming along just took a little while but in the waiting I found the bonnet and boot lid in my colour and the boot is without a spoiler so chuffed really.

·
Registered
943 Posts

Good things come to those who wait! lol Glad to hear your making some progress with it dude, looking forward to the updates and pics!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Been a while since last on here, things with work and the internet issues at my house have meant a Christmas without you guys!! *sob*

Well, with the weather how it has been and the general drinking/working routine of Christmas the project kind of ground to a halt.......but not for long, I'm bumping the old project machine back in motion and started organising time down at the bodyshop.

I *WILL* keep you all up to date this time...........nice to be back! :D

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Again took a while to get to the next step but I finally said buy to it as it got its front bumper taken off so it would go on the lorry.

Its gone off to my mates bodyshop to get everything done, the new bumpers are ready to be sprayed, the boot and bonnet are ready to be swapped over, just gotta finish cleaning up the engine and spraying it then its being dropped in too. Can't wait now as it's all started moving in the right direction! Gonna be spending a lot of time down at the bodyshop on evening and weekends now as I'm doing all the prep work myself and all the other spray work I'll be paying toward by helping to prep other work he has on.

Just gotta decide how far I actually wanna go..........do I smooth the side strips off? Do I smooth engine bay? Do I flare the arches when I roll them? Sooooo many ideas but now its down there I can start playing with idea's, can't wait to see the new rims on it! Although not sure how much trouble I'll have with 15x8" fronts and 15x8.5" rears lol

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thats the thing, the strips are a nice point that break it up but they do also look nice smoothed completely. You can see a bit of an indication on how it would look from the front arches. If I go with smoothed sides then I've gotta respray the sides so may as well look to go wider on the wheels too.....all down to cost and time at the moment, could get it exactly how I want but I want it ready for April and the beginning of the show season.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

For the first time in a long time I spent a full weekend on the car. Basically just sorting the parts I have, cleaning them up, finalising the bumpers for spraying and spending half a day talking to the guys at the bodyshop about the idea's I've got and how we're going to move it forward! They all seemed really positive about it even started throwing some things into the mix I hadn't really considered. We're aiming to get it back out for April, so gonna be pushing to see if anyone is up for some other shows this year.

Anyhow, decided the engine bay is going to be sprayed when I swap the engine so at the same time as the bland silver just doesn't look right compared to the body. I'll be doing a wire tuck and possibly looking at shaving the bay to add to the smooth look. I've got to have a play on Photoshop and see what it looks like with the smoothed strips before I decide on anything.

Will get some pics when I am down this week ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts

looking good will be payin attention to this got a full wire tuck to do shortly my self

1 - 20 of 1105 Posts