Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a 2nd hand mugen ecu for an EF9 and i was wondering if it was worth tryin out ?
or as they come premapped would it cause more trouble than its worth ? or what would the benfits be ?

thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
i run a SOHC so ive never looked in to DOCH tunning. but ive always agreed with a custom tune over a pre-programed tune.

if it's anything like the other forms of pre-programed tuning i would imagine it highers your fuel cut and VTEC switch point along with fueling and slightly modified ignition curve.

but with stock interenals you shouldnt take your car beyond its limits like that anyway.

how much money do you have to spend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much money do you have to spend?

im rallying so ive no money to spend :( it all goes on tyres
i had a feeling that custom programed was a better choice with some thing like hondata
than a pre-programed ecu. but when i was offered the ecu i just thought id find out some more about
the next step forward for more power or just what gains or risks i would take by fitting it

·
Registered
770 Posts
well the gains will be minimum with just basic bolt ons I/H/E.

if i where you i would do the internals before tuning so you ge the most for your tune with just the one payment if your on a budget.

where abouts are you based?

hondata is a stand alone system and i know a place that quoted me £500 fitted and tuned.

you stay N/A or going forced induction?

the pre-programed ECU will be programmed taking into account lots of varibles such as fuel oct, climate temp, engine condition, setups etc so it will just be to suit lots of different situations. where as a custom tune will just be to your specific setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im based in ireland but ive just found out my local rolling road is also a dealer for hondata

im staying with n/a as i rally in class 11 which is modified 1600 16v n/a
internals would be a good way forward but i coundnt really justify that kind of money :(

·
Registered
770 Posts
well in my personal opion i wouldnt spend my money on a tune with just bolt ons.

you can skim your head or buy a thinner gasket and bump the compression up a bit, and arent all B series cams inter changable?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts