Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi peeps right ive just brought a y21 box because my old y21 box exploded ......the gearbox is in and i cant get the driveshafts to sit in flush the driver side wont go in .not sure y ...is there a way of fitting them...cheers jase :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they go in but wont go in no further then the shoulder around the shaft..ive been told the circlip should click in
but wont.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi mate d series shafts dont fit into b series boxes, be very careful witht the circlip on the end of the shaft as they get bent very easy, DONT hit the shaft with a copper hammer as it can bend and break the circlip inside the box,plus it can still mushroom the end of the outer cv coupling if pounded for long enough ( seen it done many a time on renaults in my old renault/nissan garage, i wasnt one of them) set the circlip gap to the top and hold the bottom of the circlip with your finger as you guide it into the planet gear in the diff, that way the bottom cant go anywhere and a forceful nudge forward the shaft should click into place, to check its fully seated hold the inner coupling and try a gentle pull backwards

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
scorchio69 said:
Hi mate d series shafts dont fit into b series boxes, be very careful witht the circlip on the end of the shaft as they get bent very easy, DONT hit the shaft with a copper hammer as it can bend and break the circlip inside the box,plus it can still mushroom the end of the outer cv coupling if pounded for long enough ( seen it done many a time on renaults in my old renault/nissan garage, i wasnt one of them) set the circlip gap to the top and hold the bottom of the circlip with your finger as you guide it into the planet gear in the diff, that way the bottom cant go anywhere and a forceful nudge forward the shaft should click into place, to check its fully seated hold the inner coupling and try a gentle pull backwards
As your having a dig at me ,
how the hell are you meant to get your fingers round the circlip and guide it in to the SIDE gears when it goes into the shaft hole you cant even see the diff when the shaft is in the hole ?
also i dont mean to beat the shit out of the shaft but quite often they just need a tap with a copper hammer and if you read i said "GENTLE "
also there is no chance in hell you will mushroom the end of a cv joint with a copper hammer , when did steel of any kind especially a hardened cv end get mushroomed by a lump of copper,
you also may bend the circlip but you would have a hell of a job to break a circlip in the gearbox by tapping it with a copper hammer
a lot of shafts take more than a forcefull nudge as youve put it ,
Also as were picking the shafts dont go into the planet gears they go into the side gears .

·
Registered
36 Posts
paul 20 v i was not having a go at you mate, i have been a mechanic for over ten years, renault,nissan,mercedes, and vauxhall so i do know what i am talking about, and yes you can mushroom the end of the outer cv couplings, renault shafts were notorious for it, so much so that the factory developed a special press that bolts to the hub to press the shafts out, nissan drive shafts were bad for breaking the circlip on the inner cv coupling if you were too forceful in fitting the shaft to the box All you are doing with the circlip is making sure it does not rotate also, i have done 2 b series swops before and its exactly how it worked for me. The way i was trained from day one is all the gears inside the diff are classed as planetry gears, given the side gears do not orbit around, nissan and renault factory trainers cant be wrong, but yes officially they are called side gears in the planet gear assembly :redface:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now now guys chill out .i did get the shaft in the box in the end i went to honda got a new circlip moved the shaft around whilst it was in the box and it click in..all struggling with now is that the lower arm wont match up into the sub frame...its a inch away from the hole were the bolt goes...dont understand and am getting very PEEED OFf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. :twisted:

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
scorchio69 said:
paul 20 v i was not having a go at you mate, i have been a mechanic for over ten years, renault,nissan,mercedes, and vauxhall so i do know what i am talking about, and yes you can mushroom the end of the outer cv couplings, renault shafts were notorious for it, so much so that the factory developed a special press that bolts to the hub to press the shafts out, nissan drive shafts were bad for breaking the circlip on the inner cv coupling if you were too forceful in fitting the shaft to the box All you are doing with the circlip is making sure it does not rotate also, i have done 2 b series swops before and its exactly how it worked for me. The way i was trained from day one is all the gears inside the diff are classed as planetry gears, given the side gears do not orbit around, nissan and renault factory trainers cant be wrong, but yes officially they are called side gears in the planet gear assembly :redface:
OK
but as i was the only one who mentioned the copper hammer i was entitled to think that i was in the firing line , then slagging off the use of such an item
it was then time too get back so too speak
i also have been a mechanic in the same garage for 20years so it gets a little personal sometimes if you get me, it comes across like i was some amateur spouting crap off the top of my head (even if it wasnt meant to be that way thats how it came across)
in reply to mushrooming i have never beat a shaft into that situation in all my time or broken a circlip on any make or model of car , not saying some animals havent mind you ,
and after all this the jobs done glad its sorted " jasoneg6 "
cheers Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah paul i get you mate and understand fully how you feel, the job in question with mushrooming shafts was fitting new wheel bearings to clios/meganes and lagunas, the outer cv coupling was prone to sticking in the hub, i have seen a renault tech unwind the nut so far and batter seven shades of shit out it with a copper hammer to the point where it mushrooms the threads, but gentle taps would not mushroom it. Atleast he got it fixed now, friends paul :redface:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use a bit grease on the circlip to keep it center, then a few sexual thrusts and its in.
Tell you 1 thing tho, have you ever taken a hub nut off with an impact wrench, i seen a mate do it and it pulled the threads right off. He said it must have been a dodgy shaft, then he done it again a week later lol
I learned from his mistakes ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts