Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

From searching this seems to be a common enough problem but with many different causes. Any advice appreciated

I have a 52 plate Civic type-s. I've recently noticed the carpet in the driver footwell is getting pretty wet and I can't find where it's coming in. I know AC is going to be the main suspect, but I'm not sure in my case as the carpet gets wet even when the car has not been moved/driven. I've left the car overnight with a dry footwell, and the next morning after overnight rain, it's wet.

I've read that the AC evaporator drain can get blocked. I've checked this (I think) from under the car (a downpipe just next to the exhaust?)and it seems clear from there at least. Perhaps the blockage is further up, but I'm not sure how to tackle that.

Someone also told me there were drains from the roof or bonnet that ran down and can cause this problem, but i've no idea how to identify and/or cure.

Any thoughts on what i should look for, or how to tackle. I want to avoid dismantling the entire dash if i can, but if i have to. I might have to change cars soon anyway, but wanted to sort this first. This problem is spoiling what was until now a faultless first honda ownership experience.

thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
when the carpets dry go thro a car wash . you will soon find out if the bodys leaking

try blowing up the pipe or with a bike pump that mite clear the blockage my only thought is

iv only had 2 cars with air con and never had a problem so have never had this problem.
and i dont know if it mite damage the ac ?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
have you got a sunroof? water drains from there down pipes in the a pillar in most cars (the one the side mirrors are on) down and out onto the ground. these could be blocked and draining. my dads car (2002 civic coupe) had this problem. it went on the seat!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

I seem to recall reading somewhere about using high pressure air to clear so I shouldn't think using a bicycle pump would do too much harm. I might try that.

I don't have a sunroof :( I'm guessing that there must be some drainage around the base of the windscreen/bonnet so I'll have to check that out.

On a more general note, the Civic does seem to struggle with water ingress one way or another. When you open the boot, runoff flows off the tailgate, lands on the light cluster and pours into the boot. When you open doors after rain, there always seems to be standing water on the seals around the doors which ends up dripping into the car.

I've also noticed that mine (and other folks) civics tend to steam up inside a lot quicker in wet weather than other cars I've had. Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ive never had my car steam up inside. i'll have sex in it and see if its worse than my fiesta. its probably the water thats already leaking in the car causing it to steam up more. or their use of switchgear is crap (ie doesnt use air con to clear out the water in the air). theres plenty of tricks that make the car not steam up. like if it starts, stop it before it gets worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts