Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just gonna do my first service on the MB6.

Got some 10w40 magnatec, set of plugs, genuine honda oil filter and sump washer - already cleaned the induction kit.

Any pointers or gotchas with anything?

How much oil does it take? Got the usual 4 litres and have about 1/2 a litre of total stuff left over.

Cheers

Russ

Edit:

Well if anyone else comes accross this post in future looking for any there aren't really any gotchas.

The only one really is the oil filter is a little bit of a pain to get to while the oil is draining but still not exactly show stopping.

helps if you have a proper filter removal tool as its a little awkward

Russ

·
Registered
780 Posts
if your just doing an oil change then that is fine, but i would reccommend checking the rest and doing a few other extras, like fresh coolant for the winter, bleeding the brake lines, cleaning and repairing/replacing the brakes, changing the fuel filter, spark plugs, ht leads, rotor arm and dizzy (these need replacing depending on your driving and how old they are, its often worth replacing even if they just look like they have been there for a while)

parts wise your best of with some one like motaquip or eurocar parts as they will get it cheaper then halfords etc. your looking at about £70 parts to do all that i reccomended (appart from the brakes) then your going to save loads on the labour.

Hope that all helps

ohh before i go don't forget to check your tryes and put some more air into the spare as you don't want that to be flate when your on the motorway with a blow out.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Heres a tip, don't let CRXHugh pour oil into different containers or into your engine for you unless you want it everywhere ;)

Also if you are changing your gearbox oil we managed to invent an amazing contraption for getting the new oil into the gearbox, I will post a picture if I can find it!

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah, i meant to say changing the brake fuild, my mistake

yeah i'm not too good at pouring a 25litre container of oil into a coke bottle, esp if edd gives you a funnell with a filter that acts as a blocker o it lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gave all the usual stuff a check over.

Didn't know about the HT leads and stuff - They look ok, car has only done 50k

tyres and brakes get done when needed, i do 25k a year ! :twisted:

·
Registered
780 Posts
if you have a spare couple of hours its often a good idea just to take the calipers off the hangers and clean them up, as the build up of brake dust causes the squeeking (not all the time but can cause it) and this will keep them tip top, just wirebrush everything, except the rubber round the piston as this is not a good idea. make sure to put the pads back onto the same sides they came off as they will have worn down to the exact shape of that disc, so don't swap them round!!

i don't know the exact milage of ht-lead replacement, but if they look good and don't have any cracks or spilts they should be ok, the plugs are straight forward, take them out and if they look tred replace them, there only about 4quid each for an NGK one anyway, worth replacing each year if you do 25k.

did it have any service history upto 50k?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts