Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As subject really.

I've read a few disgruntled posts on here saying they don't want to go Honda again.

Just wondering on the 5 door Type S (2.0, manual, 2005) how some of you feel about it having now owned it for a while or even retrospectively?

Think I may have found the one... so just curious how they pan out (reliability/running costs) in real-life!

Cheers guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think you either love them or hate them!! had mine for about 15 months now, God knows how I've lasted this long with it ! lol main gripes I have is the steering it has to be the worst I've had on any car, in that the self centering is rubbish particularly on motorways and tiring on along journey due to corrections needed all the time, the suspension is firm on these and does tend to crash and bang over the smallest of potholes, which I have to say is probably the worst thing about this car and mine has had new front suspension, balljoints etc. and still does it, can't help thinking it's partly suspension and plastics ie. bumper, inner wheel arche liners all banging about, something just feels cheap and nasty about it when hitting these dodgy bits in the roads, performance wise they are ok and goes like stink when you want it to (at least mine does!!) good amount of space in the cabin , seats are ok , not the most comfortable out there especially on along journey , always get a bit of a back ache after a long journey, best car I've had for no aches and pains on a journey would you believe is a Ford focus (2005 model I had) and the steering was the best I've experienced in a long time too on that Focus, maybe I shouldn't say it but have you considered a Focus, in terms of driving there's no comparison in my opinion the Focus wins hands down, just a lack of leg room in the back of them, anyway I would suggest you take the Honda for a test drive (if you haven't already) and see what you think and maybe even test out the Focus, would be interested to know how you get on.
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one Pete!

But.... I already bought it! Type S 2.0 in Night Hawk Black. I'm quite pleased with it.

Drove it about 30 miles home from the previous owners place so I go to take it on the motorway and down a few B roads. I was impressed that it does go pretty quick when you need it too. I don't like the driving position that much (it's a second car for me) but I think that is mainly because my main car is a Toyota MR2 and I guess that is what I am used to.

I did consider a Focus a while back. I don't want to look! But to be honest it was the rear leg room that I believe is probably the best on the civic. For the one in a thousand times that it will be used I think those in the back will appreciate it!

One thing I noticed is that it's pretty quiet (engine)! I also don't know if I've tested the VTEC properly. It comes in at high revs right? But how I and what gears. I just feel like it's time to change way before any 6/7k. What exactly am I supposed to feel? Nothing, something like surge in speed?

Now the time is just to get things sorted - I've been inspired by another Type S which has been given a more Type R stance!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Glad you're happy with it, with the Vtec I do believe it is high revs but like you I'm not sure at exactly what revs and again as you say I also feel it needs changing up well before 6/7K , I have heard that with our Vtec you don't really feel a sudden surge when it kicks in and must say I've not noticed it, mind you, if in say 4th gear about 4k revs and I put my foot down it does pull really well as if somethings going on!! but not what I'd call a surge! the engines aren't bad in terms of noise most of the noise i hear with mine particularly if i've got it running with hood up is the tappets rattling a bit and maybe a little belt noise but that's it really, how are you finding the steering?
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
108 Posts
reactiv: Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you enjoy it!

Funny that both of you guys compared this car to the Focus as it was also what I was looking at when shopping for a change of wheels.
When I was looking though I was aiming more for an ST170 but with insurance being a major stumbling block (9 groups higher for .5 of a second faster to 60 and worse economy :surprised: ) I thought that the Honda won overall, on paper anyway.

My views after 18 months:
I have had some (and still have some) niggles with it though; steering, suspension and aux belt with associated ancillaries. Also any part you need is expensive.
The space, kit and especially the engine are strong plus points. Even with regular high rev use I'm seeing no less than 34MPG(not the lying trip, real MPG) since I did the last service (Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 and NGK Iridiums; :thumbup: what a difference)
I'd be interested to see how you feel about the car after getting properly used to it.

BTW, the VTEC thing:
The VTEC cam swap isn't the kick it used to be nor is it really like that on our engines (K20A3) vs the proper ones in Type-R's (K20A2).
In the Type-S engine only 12 of the valves are working until 2300 RPM when a separate cam lobe opens up the remaining 4 on the intake side. There is no secondary lobe on the exhaust cam.
On the Type-R engine all 16 valves are operating at all RPM but when the revs go beyond around 6000 the second set of lobes on both the intake and exhaust cams (with more far more aggressive lobes to provide more lift )come in to effect and you get a jump in power.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tensai, what particular difference have you noticed ; better idling, smoother throttle response through the gears etc.? got to say i was thinking about getting the Iridiums, used to run those in my old 2001 vauxhall Omega, god I do miss that car , was a big old barge and bloody juicy on fuel, but a good cruiser.
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pete: In terms of idle I've not really noticed any; partley because the engine is pretty quiet anyway and I'm putting off paying 60 notes for that stupid whining belt.

The throttle response is definitely sharper though. Blipping for downchanges, part throttle and full throttle driving the engine feels like its packing more power and torque. The fuel economy has jumped about 4MPG as well.

I had to wait a couple of weeks or so between doing the oil'n'filters and the plugs (different suppliers) so I'm pretty sure on what's causing what. I'd say that engine smoothness seems to be more down to the oil. One thing I would like to point out though; I am pretty sure that the plugs I removed were the ones that came with the car from the factory as my car had done so few miles (>30k) when I bought it. I can't make the same promises for you mate!

Also shop around if you can. My local motorfactors had them at a little under £43, way less than I could find online.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cheers for that mate, I'll have a look around on those plugs , just can't seem to remember where I got them from when I had the Omega, hopefully it'll come to me!!
know what you mean with the belt, same as , I just can't bring myself to fork out that amount on a bloody belt!! honda and their prices eh! grrrr......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys.

Pretty hard to answer the question on steering... I've literally only driven it the once (the day I bought it!). I'll be doing a decent 40mile round trip this weekend so should get a better feel for it. Having said that this is only my third regular access car. The first being a 1l 'E' reg Pug 205 :palm: and My current MK2 MR2.

I don't really know if the tappets are loud on mine (what are they anyway!?) and I'm unsure what whining belt you guys are referring to... I thought the Type S has a timing chain...

You've talked about plugs and stuff. But this car has just been service twice within 6k miles although I'm not sure if I should be worried that it missed two consecutive services a couple of years back.

Would I be better waiting til the next service to think about things like switching to irridium plugs.

Oh, last thing, Tensai, you mentioned the lying trip counter... does it? Which mode is best to accurately guage what my MPG is?

Now I just need to think about modifications... don't worry, I'm no boy racer. I mean just taking styling cues from the Type R. :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
On A and B roads in my area it's not too bad but when trying to drive harder it's not much fun nor is motorway stuff. See how you find the steering on that longer trip you have planned anyways.

Tappets is another term for valve clearances. For some cars adjustment it's not an issue but after a few years/tens of thousands of miles on a Honda they need tightening back to specs. On cars like ours (K20 engine and 7th Gen) Honda backed the recommendation right back to 110k miles which seems to be a little optimistic when it was usually around 30k miles. This 2 min video show some bits on a Type-R engined car if you are curious:[youtube:l9c5nl74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zw9WS5hfg8[/youtube:l9c5nl74]

You are right in that K20 engines have timing chains rather than belts but we were talking about the auxillary belt that runs off the engine's crank to power; the AC compressor, waterpump, alternator and the idle pulley and auto tensioner at the top. In the engine bay on the left.
If you watch the above video for the first few secs you will see the top pulley and the belt on it behind the left headlight.

I don't know how others feel but if your car missed a couple of services in the past, I probably wouldn't worry about it now it has been done recently.
I only switched plugs because I needed to and I was curious to see how much of a difference they would make. Maybe check if yours have been done in the last 30k miles.

On the issue of the trip: once in a while if it says some high :angel: (or low :twisted: ) numbers I just do the maths!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my Type-S for a couple of months now..

Overall I do really enjoy driving it, although I must agree about the steering. For the mot it needed an anti-roll bar and that cured some of the problem but over small pot-holes and bumps in the road it still sounds as if something else is wrong. Just don't know what or if the cars are meant to be this way (seems more likely option looking at this forum).. Another moan I have about my particular civic is the MPG counter is always on 23 MPG and goes up very randomly to either 23.1, 23.2 or 22.9 MPG.. Its doing my head in because I dont know if its lying or not lol

The power is nice once its above 4500rpm, and the brakes are very solid.. And that extra rear legroom is really good.. my little boy can walk around in the back lol I told him off when i first bought it because i thought he was climbing on something, but he was in fact standing in the extra legroom in the back lol..

Overall I do really like the car, its cheap on insurance for a 2 litre and sounds nice with a backbox and induction kit.. especially when it gets close to 7000rpm, im going to keep her for a while yet

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I adored mine. It was a very good compromise.

Overall, my mpg was about 32 over just around a year of ownership. Plenty of room for everyone, and it got a lot of comments regarding how smart it looked.

The engine is an odd one. It's not a performance lump, by any stretch, but it's still good- 160bhp from a 2-litre is not to be sniffed at, it's better than the contemporary offerings from Ford/Vauxhall/etc. And before anyone goes, "Oh, the ST170, blah blah blah..." - they were mostly around 145bhp, from the dyno readings!

Handling was superb. I still miss it now, although I'm enjoying a different sort of drive. I replaced it with an Octavia, and that was atrocious in comparison. Wobbled like a slapped fat woman, where the Civic would just grip, change its angle slightly, and hammer off into the distance. I had it while I lived on the Isle of Wight, and it was perfect for that place- lots of curvy roads, long fast A-roads, and not a motorway in sight.

Inside, it was comfortable, it looked good and it was incredibly practical. Cupholders- never had a car with such correct placement & usefulness. All the cars I've used or had since have been utter failures. The controls were weighty without being tiresome, the ambience was a good balance too. Nice car to have sex in.

Outside, looked subtle but still 'classy'- for a family hatchback.

If she came back to me, tail between exhaust pipes, I'd entertain her again. That's something that I'd only say about my BMW- the rest of the cars I've had can suck it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Ladies & Gents !

Spotted this thread and thought I'd jump on it and say "Yes Love My 5 Door Type-S"

Made the purchase due to needing 5 doors (kids) but didn't want to go down the full blown Dad's car route :) and I've never been a follower i.e focus, astra, golf, blah blah and I've always been a Jap Man to be honest with my previous cars and knowledge of what's what in the world of motoring.

Must say I've only owned it for a few months but I'm very impressed, nice black one I purchased and got it at a reasonable price.

So for anybody reading this wondering shall I get a 5 door Type-S... It's really a no brainer, the answer is yes :)

Kind Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, wanted to know what people thought on my issue. I currently have a corsa c, 1.8 sri getting 36-39 mpg. Im thinking of getting something bigger and was pondering a civic type s, leon tdi or mondeo tdci. I know these are different cars but just wondered what you guys have to say.

Many thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome (I'm still pretty new myself here).

This might be the wrong thread to get most replied and advice on but nevertheless.

I say go for it, I'm a firm Japanese Car Believer and have been for many many years, don't listen to the "following German car drivers" with their Audi A3's and so on blah blah, such a bore these days :)

I say "If it's not Japanese... Don't buy it" - I can assure you if your after than extra room along with a fantastically smooth ride with a good bit of oooomph, then your looking in the right direction. Leon (never) Ford (hell no) anything not Japanese... run for your life and save your £££$$$ !

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm with Old Cruiser when it comes to all the faults on Civics, he's got it spot on. The problem with opinions on Civics is an awful lot of young drivers who have only ever driven 1.2 Corsas get a Civic and think it's great but if you have driven a few more cars over the years you realise that they are OK but not exactly the amazing car they are made out to be by so many.

The bulletproof reliability so many rave on about is a total myth and so is the wonderful fuel economy if you have a petrol one as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned my 2005 Civic Type S for about six weeks now and I'm liking it more. I've owned quite a few performance cars over the years which peaked with a WRX import which was running 280bhp which was pretty quick but very, very thirsty! After a few years driving around in a 1.4 Golf it was time for something a bit more fun and the Civic Type S ticked all the boxes with a good balance of performance and economy and also the practicality of 5 doors.

My first impressions of the car were that it was very smooth and quiet but the steering was pretty dire....nothing like as good as the Clio 172 I had. Over the weeks I've kind of got used to that issue and have really enjoyed the benefits of cruise control on the M-way returning over 40mpg and opening it up now and again and watching the needles fly round the dials!

In a nutshell it's not a great car, the steering puts the kybosh on that but it is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing and the engine is a real peach so it's entertaining. It's also quite a rare car and I've yet to see one out on the roads which is pretty cool.

I'll see how I get on over the next six months with it and it'll be interesting to see how it copes with the winter conditions but so far so good :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I've just bought a type s and I've got to say I love it. Yes it's a hard ride but there are no rattles or bangs just a hard sporty ride with very little body role. Ok its not as fast as a type r but then a type r isn't as fast as a NSX. I needed a 5 seater reliable car that wasn't boring and was better on the juice than my jag s type 3.0. It ticks all the boxes and the lack of a transmission tunnel gives so much more room in the back for the kids. Mine just needs new brakes as the rear are binding and grinding.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes i do! I agree in part with another poster who mentioned that the steering doesn't center very well, I've think what's meant regarding 'centering' is the notchy feeling while traveling at higher speeds ie motorway driving where the road is almost straight but not fully, there does tend to be an issue when trying to keep the car going round a slight curve in a smooth fashion where the steering wheel steers in usual slight smooth adjustments but will 'bump' over a notch causing driver oversteer this means the driver then needs to steer back to hold the driving line. This gives a 'drunk driver' or 'new driver' look as the Type S gently swerves in motorway lanes. This i totally agree is the most irritating thing. However this problem can be corrected* using careful application of silicone lubrication spray around the steering parts. Also a new steering module could fix completely! * I admit I'm unsure where to spray the lube exactly as my bro in law is my mechanic ? and he's helped loads with this notchy steering issue. Anyway apart from that, i love my 03 Type S. It does indeed go like the clappers when needed but surprisingly quiet and economical (ish) when driving normally/gently. Note for a different poster (sorry i missed the tag) This civic has iVtec which is different to the Vtec system you would find on a Type R Civic, some might say that the iVtec isn't really a 'proper' Vtec! Regardless of that and to test when the ivtec kicks in, on my 2003 2.0 Type S 5 Door Civic the iVtec system can be tested by running the car in second gear at just below 5000rpm holding a steady speed then to test, just floor the accelerator (on a safe straight road) the ivtec should be felt and heard starting up at between 5 1/4 - 6 1/2 rpm or thereabouts. Just remember to shift up gears as those available revs soon disappear. ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts