Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to post more disadvantages!

- They are harder to start in cold weather.
- They cost more to purchase up front.
- Many local repair shops do not have the service personnel or parts for diesel engines.
- They cost more to repair than a comparable gasoline engine.
- They can go farther than your bladder can on a tank of fuel.
- Their acceleration is sluggish.
- They are noisier and smellier than petrol engines.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Feel free to post more disadvantages!

1- They are harder to start in cold weather.
2- They cost more to purchase up front.
3- Many local repair shops do not have the service personnel or parts for diesel engines.
4- They cost more to repair than a comparable gasoline engine.
5- They can go farther than your bladder can on a tank of fuel.
6- Their acceleration is sluggish.
7- They are noisier and smellier than petrol engines.

1 there no harder to start these days than anything else , diesels of old were thou.
2 they do cost more to purchase
3 yes a lot of garages dont have the equipment to sort diesels , and its getting worse for diesels
4 they do cost more yes but not that much more these days.
5 they are very good on mpg.
6 their acceleration especially torque figures of many modern diesels will whip a load of petrol cars these days.
7 have you smelt a cat on a petrol car (rotten eggs) they are noisy but modern diesels again you would be hard pressed to tell with the bonnet down.

[youtube:1c96sb2f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MItqDFypDM[/youtube:1c96sb2f]

may i add there is nothing slow about this diesel .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
3.0 litre diesel tdi audi a6 (230hp and a fat load of tourques) 6.7 to 60 and 153 mph. about the same acceleration as my 1.6. didnt seem much faster even when my high end power drops off (120mph+). although he didnt go any faster than 125. was empty roads btw and i wasnt tailgating either. was just good to keep up with an expensive car with loads of torques! thing is though he probably wasnt going more than 4k revs in gear and i was going round to 8400!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Thats not bad stug i used to average about 30 in my 1.5 VTEC xD!

Mind you Alec, Hugh and Skinny have all seen the way i drive lol.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
no wonder you crashed!! i believe that grandad eco mode i can get more than 40 :) so suck that diesel power! 36mpg vs 50mpg in a diesel its still cheaper in a petrol!!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Diesel is a filthy nasty fuel and its soot is highly carsnagenic.

Have you seen the muck they chuck out everytime they are given stick off the line or on hard accelaration.... even new generation diesels.

Fill up a diesel at any petrol staion and everything is covered with the stuff, the pumps, trigger nozzles and especially the floor.

Most have shorter service intervals especially for oil changes.

Diesel can freeze, lost my van for two days a few years ago in a cold snap in Yorkshire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to add 2p's worth!

I had an Ibiza FR 1.9TDi - it had a FMIC, complete exhaust with de-cat, intake, Custom-Code Phase 2 mapping and it was fun!!!!

190bhp and 310lb/ft!

Did a 1/4 mile at santa pod of 14.7 and a 0-60 in 6.5sec :)

I raced many, many EP3 Type Rs and low speed I would destroy them - top end, dead heat all the way.

Raced an EK9 ones tho - again beat him at lower speeds but he had the egde at high speeds.

Of which all the time my MPG never went below 17 at full throttle

BUT! My god they can be boring! I love the petrol engine for how its revvs but I really miss the torque!!!

Vid of me racing my mate in his Seat Leon Cupra R http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=m ... 0pod&emb=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- on the left click on Mike Vs Bruce (Mine is the bright yellow car!)

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=m ... biza&emb=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on left again, mike against an impreza

another against my mate bruce again!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=m ... %20R&emb=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a quick piccy of my old motor! I miss it!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Alec said:
- Their acceleration is sluggish.
You not heard of the Audi diesel Le-mans racer, And also the fact that since they entered that car that no other car has won the Le-mans.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Civit said:
Diesel can freeze, lost my van for two days a few years ago in a cold snap in Yorkshire.

Erm, no offence but diesel freeze's after petrol, so if your van wasn't working it prob wasn't the diesel that was at fault. And also, if your van froze in Yorkshire, how come trucks n cars (diesel and petrol) are still working several hundred miles further north in Scotland where it can get REALLY cold!!!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
None taken, the two quotes below courtesy of Wikipedia.

Like most fuels, diesel is a mix of hydrocarbons, and the components have different freezing points. For Number 2 diesel, as the ambient temperatures drop toward 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), it begins to cloud, due to the paraffin in the fuel solidifying. As the temperatures drop below 32 F, the molecules combine into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is known as the gel point, and generally occurs about 15 degrees F (-9.5 degrees C) below the cloud point.

This wax then forms a coating on the filter which results in a loss of engine power. The same thing happens on starting an engine when the temperature is below freezing. The filter becomes almost instantly coated with wax - usually, enough fuel gets through to allow the engine to idle, but not attain operating RPM. There are two common ways to overcome this: one is a diesel additive, the other is a fuel heater.

Petrol will not freeze unless it has water in it and it still has a flashpoint at -97C (will burn), years ago we would regularly add a gallon of petrol to any JCBs, diggers and dumpers on site to make sure they started in the winter.

IIRC the last big freeze was in the mid nineties and after that petrol companies started to advertise anti-waxing diesels and modern diesels are fitted with heaters etc...

I had an Nissan Urvan truck with an expose tank and it was frozen solid, Scotland I admit is further north, but has no claim to have all the bad weather!

Quotes Met Office.
(Lowest recorded temperature England -26.1 °C at Newport (Shropshire) on 10 January 1982) & (Lowest recorded temperature Scotland -27.2 °C at Braemar (Aberdeenshire) on 11 February 1895 and 10 January 1982) not much in it!!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Aye good point there like, Didnt know about the waxing bitty. Hmm for once my info was somewhat wrong. Yeah very true about the weather. However every winter i am always pissing myself when i hear on the news "it snowed in england today, we got half an inch of snow, And this caused traffic chaos". Mean while in scotland we might have 4,5,6inch's of snow and we dont even bat an eyelid :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Or a flood.... that did not actally get you.... hmm

End of the day the diesel engine has come along way from what it was! Yes I know that it has its down points and its ups too.

Then again so does a petrol!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
^^^^^ I couldnt agrea more

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
People should make up their own mind on this debate. It's like Mac vs PC. Give it a rest already :)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts