Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unfortuanatly i have bought a car that the dip stick has been snapped and pushed further down into the sleave that holds it

i can get anything to grab on to it and not to sure about drilling incase parts go into the sump

i have a new dipstick for it but but not sure bout getting the other 1 out the sleave (snapped 1 )

is there a way that you can take the sleave off the sump or .........

any answers for me ?????

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Damn, that's a tricky problem you're having! I would advise against any drilling.

How far down is it? Can't be grabbed by some thin long pliers?

Can you take off the whole dip stick part of the engine? How difficult would that be?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
im guessing its possible to take the sleeve the dipstick is in but would mean the oil comes out so would mean an oil change at the same time. need to see fixings etc to see if its possible to take one off

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you bet its tricky

i tried pullin it out with pointy pliers but it pushed it down more lol

im not sure if you can take the whole dipstick part out thats why i set up this post lol

anybody know if you can take the whole dipstick part out???? (will be good if you can )

it needs a oil change anyway so im not botherd about that i have a haynes manual but it doesnt say anything about the dipstick sleave

·
Registered
780 Posts
what car is it?? i need more info :)

you can usually undo a small bracket that supports the sleve, then the sleve has to be wobbled and pulled out (you have to be quite tough with it to get it out!)

it should come out as a small tube with the dipper left in, which you can pull down from the back.

if you really can't get the sleve out then unfortunatley you will have to remove the sump, and pull the dipper out the bottom of the sleve, and then out from where the sump was (this is a slow proces, not very difficult but involve about 20-25 bolts lol)

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Reading around, there should be a fastener that secures the tube assembly near the top of the engine. after this is removed you should be able to just pull the tube right out of engine, you may find it comes out better if you twist it while pulling.

·
Registered
780 Posts
aha!! well you could bring it down for me to have a look at but it would prob be cheaper to take it to a local garage and ask them to take a look!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts