Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've just bought a 1994 Civic VEi, i'm really happy with how it drives but at tickover (especially when cold) and when pulling off in 1st it sounds decidedly diesel-like. It drives very smoothly and the vtec kicks in no problem, I'd just rather it was a bit quieter and would like to know if this is anything to worry about. I know it hasn;t been serviced for a few thousand miles (its only done 41k mind!)

Any advice on sorting this out, would an oil change help?

Cheers. Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
sounds to me like its your clutch realease bearing. my EG that duggy now has was doing it.

when your sat at tickover, stay in neutral and dip the clutch. if the noise goes away, thats what it is.

might aswell get a whole new clutch kit while you are replacing that, it all needs to come out anyway and its hard to get hold of a realease bearing on its own!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I've just tried that and the noise doesn't seem to be present nearly as bad as when I am in 1st and 2nd at low revs. It almost sounds like its coming from the head - theres enough oil in there and no gunk around the oil filler cap. I've read some things about the timing belt needing adjustment, and something called "piston slap?" for which there doesn't seem to be a resolution.. seems a bit strange.

When I test drove it I just assumed it was a bit lumpy as it hadn't been driven for a while but now a few days in i'm a bit concerned. The noise seems to be louder now than it was.

It may very well be this clutch release bearing, are there any other conditions with a similar symptom though?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
piston slap is when either the bore or the piston wears and isnt perfectly circular and the piston moves about. it happens while cold. requires normally a replacement piston. shouldnt happen at 41k though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm not sure if that's what it is then, it doesn't change when I depress the clutch. Its like the pistons are just really rattly and noisy, perhaps some better oil would help or an oil change. Even though it's got a dealer history they havnt stamped/filled in the oil changes.. good of them! Which oil would you recommend, I read 10w-40 mentioned on here.

I think i'll give it some tlc then see how it fares

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
oil change will reduce the noise but if there is a problem then it will still be there. they should have it on their books that its had the oil changes. go to them and make them stamp it! will reduce a cars value by at least 10%, which is annoying when so much money has been spent! 10w40 is good, i use 5w30 but thats what my car requires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the replies, having driven it for a few more days now I've decided its probably nothing too major, as the car doesn't drive any differently. Can an incorrectly adjusted timing belt cause diesel-like running at low revs?

The clutch issue seems very possible too, as its at its absolute worst when i first set off

·
Registered
340 Posts
yeah mine was worse when it was cold. but it went away with the clutch in so i guess its not that. unless yours has gone more than mine? dont know if thats how they work though lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts