Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first car lol picked it up for £300 with no mot or tax

it is a 1996 1.5 ls ek3

has the usual rust beside the arches and the person that had it before done a shabby job at flushing the back bumper and never finished the job

got that alloys for cheap with new tyres on it just for its mot they are the standard eg alloys but will do the job

its has lowering springs on the front but its not lowerd lol

has a green airfilter aswell
the engine is quite oily not sure what the cos of that is at the moment

looking to get a respray with the money i get from selling my moped
or do somthing to the engine and just fix the rust myself

what u guys think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Re: my 1996 1.5 ls civic ek3

Does it really require a full respray? That would cost far more than the car is worth.

Nice Green air filter though :)

I would recommend manually removing that rust.

Don't worry about the oily engine, most un-modified ones are :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Looks ok if its just for use while you save, atleast you know it wont just break down like a 106 or something lol..

Alec, do a rust removal DIY if you know how too.. ive got a few spots id like to remove.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Edd said:
Ouch at the rust, how many miles has it done? mines done 151k and not a spot on it

it has done 138000 miles but has a full service history

think i will do the rust myself and give the engine a clean aswell

get it looking good for when i pass my test (in a month hopefuly )

the good thing is that the rust is only on the top , the man that had it before resprayd it last year but dont think he done a very good job

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Well the rear bumper os plastic so the pic of the top of the arch wont be even half as bad if you spray the top of that bumper.

I want to know how to get rid of rust spots. So if you have a good technique, perhaps you can share it :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Skinny said:
Well the rear bumper os plastic so the pic of the top of the arch wont be even half as bad if you spray the top of that bumper.

I want to know how to get rid of rust spots. So if you have a good technique, perhaps you can share it :p
ok thats good to hear its the side skirts that im worryed about

im goin to have a look 2 day and when iv done it ill tell u my technique because i have never done it before as this is only my first car , i did have rust problems with my moped frame but i just painted hammerite over it lol (wont be doin that with the civic)

·
Registered
780 Posts

if the rust is on the surface just take it back with a coarse emery, then treat it with crust from hammerite untill its all shiney, then little bit of filler to get her smooth again, wet and dry till your hearts content then spray away, can often be more difficult then that explanation lol.

if its quite bad you can cut it out and weld new bits in, this gets tricky and can often look poo :(

if its really bad go for the rat look and just put varnish/laquer on it :shock: mite look totally wank after that tho

·
Registered
5,010 Posts

crxhugh said:
if its quite bad you can cut it out and weld new bits in
I would steer clear of welding if you can. It breaks the rust protective layer over the steel. That is why universal back boxes are always a bad idea.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

i have decided that im doing the rust myself this weekend infact , aquired some flappa discs from my dad so going to grind down to bare metal then coat of some rust treatment stuff then smooth over with body filler - primer - paint - laquer

and have decided that im going to keep the car and make it a project :D

going to get for it ( the list begins )

Ek9 Body Conversion ( front splitter , rear bumper ,grill , spoiler and the yellow fog lights)
Black Housing headlights
lowered 60mm all round on tein coilovers
17 " Black Rota SlipStreams
Red Honda Badge For Bonnet
Window Tints
JDM Stickers
Honda or Mugen Sunstrip
Backbox i have off my mates eg its the 1 with the extra pipe that comes over of the box lol

mybe a b16a engine in with uprated cams, forged pistons and a big turbo with blow off valve ( dreaming now)

Already Have EP3 TYPE R Front Seats

·
Registered
73 Posts

u get the fat chicks sticker from max power mags i had 1 years ago lol there's a place that makes stickers nxt 2 stephens 24 hour shop jst tell them what u want and the make it 4 u its about £20

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

found out the rust was worst than expected , rear jack up points on the sils need welding
luckly my dad is a qualified welder:D
lol

so will be fixed for free :D

pic of it buffed down redy for welding

all the above project bit has been scraped im going to keep it a year until i find a decent 1.6 vti

but will get

coilovers
window tints
ek9 grill
ek9 black surround headlights
if i can find 1 cheap a carbon bonnet

already got a mugen twin loop back box
ep3 type r seats
airfilter

rocker cover off a esi (goin to paint it white with gold writing )
spray the alloys thats on the car black
lower it as far as it goes with out touchin the arches

most of that stuff i can take of when i get a vti and put it on that

will be looking for a black ek4 1.6 vti ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts