Honda Civic Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good luck insuring an ep3 mate, I'm 27 and it cost me 650 to insure it with 9 years ncb, save your money and enjoy the economy as the bigger and more powerful the motor, the more doolah it is!!,!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
at the moment £650 sound kushty! its £1400 area for my 1.4 no mods declared on batty box :wtf: but if i pass my next test, i may be able to squeeze a similar quote out of a non black box insurance company bcause i will be 18! i hope lol the ej9 is a two year car, to rack up ncb and money for the ep and insurance. or at least thats the plan

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yea they are standard figures you mention though but older d-series tend to respond much better to bolt ons than the d16v1, and the ej9 is obviously a much lighter car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone ive spoke to says "there fun" "great cars" ... But compared to other 1.4s there slowww
For example a corsa 1.4 is dohc giving it a lil more grunt so in a straight the corsa would win? I disagreed due to the fact a civic reving upto 8k? Although i sort of see where people are coming from so its sort of making me unsure
Chances are theyre only 8v buddy! and the engines are weak! I have a 1.6 atm and its like shit off a blanket! so ignore the vx crowd!

Ive owned my ej9 for 9 yrs, not had a bad thing go wrong with it! ive lowered mine, replaced all bushes etc, after market exhaust system and intake... still runs like the day I got her! Great first mod if your mechanically minded is swap your head for 1.6 head!

Deffo recommend one tbh, looked after itll last yrs, and you could always pop a bigger engine in later on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have an EJ9 viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42863.

Standard, runs around 75bhp when new and I can completly understand about wanting more power. I brought it to basicly save on fuel from having my Impreza Turbo and RX8! lol Its all very well adding bits, I have added 4-2-1 manifold, de-silenced centre pipe, decat, induction kits but in reality I would be lucky to be pushing 90bhp. If you go for a remap that will only add another 5-6bhp (I have checked already) and would cost around £200 for that service. It would be cheaper and better to go for the 1.6 SOHC which already has 125bhp as standard without mods, which is what I will be doing next year.

I understand you do not have the equipment or space for it, so why not phone a garage and ask how much they would charge to rip the 1400 out and replace with a second hand 1600 SOHC block from ebay? There are a few parts that are the same and would save on costs.
Bro, just change your throttle body gadget to the gadget of the 90hp engine... because the 75hp gadget acts like a restrictor due to the opening in it only being 30mm, and the 90hp gadget uses the whole with of the throttle body, that's 15hp for literally 5€, then a D16Y8 exhaust manifold, D16Y8 intake Manifold, full exhaust (with 100 cell Cat) and a Remap, you should make around 125hp and rev up to around 8000-8300rpm, if you want more, swap for the D16Y8 Head as well (but do a port enlargement job), falvesprings and retainers and a Cam, and you should make around 150-160hp,
If you still want more, go for a set of Nippon Racing P29 Pistons and H beam rods and an adjustable cam gear, let it rev up to around 9000-9500 and you should make around 180 to 200hp, but I want to go even further...
My goal is around 300hp N/A:
Comp Ratio, 14:1
Fully built D16Y8 Head, Lightened rotating assembly, ITB intake manifold with 32mm throttle bodys, a 4:1 exhaust manifold into a full 2.5 inch exhaust with a 50 cell catalytic converter, D to B conversion to a S80 tranny (from a B18B1, it has the longest B series gear ratios : 1st is 3.23, 2nd is 1.9, 3rd is 1.269, 4th is 0.966, 5th is 0.714 and the final is 4.266).
It should run on 105 octane pump gas, or on straight E100 and rev well over 10k (my valve assembly is rated for up to 13k rpm)....
I'm a bit of a maniac if it comes to N/A D series engines, but the by far best engine to build N/A is the D16A8 DOHC from the CRX or the Rover 216i convertible with a D13 crank and bigger pistons...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone ive spoke to says "there fun" "great cars" ... But compared to other 1.4s there slowww
For example a corsa 1.4 is dohc giving it a lil more grunt so in a straight the corsa would win? I disagreed due to the fact a civic reving upto 8k? Although i sort of see where people are coming from so its sort of making me unsure
The civic would still win if it comes to the top speed, because you can reach up to 210kph in 4th, but only 160 in 5th because it's to long for the little engine to push trough

21 - 28 of 28 Posts