Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ej9, i would like to increase the horse power to about 120 but keeping the cost down and keeping it NA, so far i have been told manifolds intake and cold air, but no one has come onto internals, if i were to buy new rods, pistons, valve springs ect. would that increase the hp? also im not mapping the ecu, i want to increase the power mechanically, sorry to be picky :D

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
insted of spending loads of cash trying to gain extra BHP from mods, why dont you just up the engine size will be alot cheaper to do

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
in that case it would be cheaper buying a civic with a bigger engine and chance to be cheaper in the long run

·
Registered
63 Posts
fenzzie said:
i have a ej9, i would like to increase the horse power to about 120 but keeping the cost down and keeping it NA, so far i have been told manifolds intake and cold air, but no one has come onto internals, if i were to buy new rods, pistons, valve springs ect. would that increase the hp? also im not mapping the ecu, i want to increase the power mechanically, sorry to be picky :D
without mapping anything you fit is just noise and looks but to get the D14 to 120bhp will cost ££££'s best of changing the usuals and swapping the gearbox over to a S20 or S40 B000 it'll shortern the ratios and fell like an extra 10-15bhp

just wondered what you have against mapping ? mapping makes every part work together producing the most power safely best money you can spend imo ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also have an EJ9 viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42863.

Standard, runs around 75bhp when new and I can completly understand about wanting more power. I brought it to basicly save on fuel from having my Impreza Turbo and RX8! lol Its all very well adding bits, I have added 4-2-1 manifold, de-silenced centre pipe, decat, induction kits but in reality I would be lucky to be pushing 90bhp. If you go for a remap that will only add another 5-6bhp (I have checked already) and would cost around £200 for that service. It would be cheaper and better to go for the 1.6 SOHC which already has 125bhp as standard without mods, which is what I will be doing next year.

I understand you do not have the equipment or space for it, so why not phone a garage and ask how much they would charge to rip the 1400 out and replace with a second hand 1600 SOHC block from ebay? There are a few parts that are the same and would save on costs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
japschool craig said:
I also have an EJ9 viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42863.

Standard, runs around 75bhp when new and I can completly understand about wanting more power. I brought it to basicly save on fuel from having my Impreza Turbo and RX8! lol Its all very well adding bits, I have added 4-2-1 manifold, de-silenced centre pipe, decat, induction kits but in reality I would be lucky to be pushing 90bhp. If you go for a remap that will only add another 5-6bhp (I have checked already) and would cost around £200 for that service. It would be cheaper and better to go for the 1.6 SOHC which already has 125bhp as standard without mods, which is what I will be doing next year.

I understand you do not have the equipment or space for it, so why not phone a garage and ask how much they would charge to rip the 1400 out and replace with a second hand 1600 SOHC block from ebay? There are a few parts that are the same and would save on costs.

D14A4's are 90bhp standard and with a few simple mods 105-110bhp can be found but after that it's silly money for small gains !!

I know mapping will only find around 5bhp but dont get caught out or hung up on peak figures how the car makes the power is far more important than silly pub talk peak figures :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats true, but unlikely an old car would have retained much of that 90bhp since new and if hes looking for 120bhp exactly then better to go for an engine swap. Unless you stick with the standard mods as suggested and take Mr Scott's advise and work on how that less power can be used. For example, reducing weight by removing any parts that you dont need. (Interior, Spare wheel, lighter alloys etc) You could go even further to take out electric motors for the windows and replace with manual ones and removing the petrol tank and replace with a smaller after market one. :D

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
For £200 you could pick up a D16Y8 or D16Z6 and have just shy of 130bhp with a simple bolt in engine swap. I wouldn't bother pouring money into a D14 unless it was on parts which could be taken over to a new engine in the future.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are all good ideas, because of my current state, im probably going to go with a few mods to up the power, get as close to the 120 goal then just wait a year or two to get an ep3. the plan so far is mini me swap, new exhaust manifold and save a bit more and get a skunk2 mani or something along them lines. dont really want to do much more to be honest. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Agreed as above. I have a Japspeed Manifold and so does Bentley (user on here) and we both love it. Gives a great rumble. However a 4-1 is better suited to the B's where as a 40201 is better suited to D's. A slightly less flowing manifold will give you a bit more bottom end but it all comes down to how you like to drive, freeing up the ponies in the D15 may lend itself to a 4-1 better.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My old ej9 keeps up with my ep2 both with 4-1/decat/catback/filter, doubt you can really squeeze much more out unless you fired on a z6 inlet and ported out the head but then you would want to map it, seems weird you want to do all this stuff but not map it:s thats like buying a kid a bike and not teaching them how to use it
you also want to keep cost down but your considering pistons/conrods/cams etc?? Honestly if you want cheap power? Buy an ebay turbo kit, swap the turbo for a good second hand turbo and have it on low boost

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well from what i have been told, re-maps add little hourse power for a lot of money, unless its a desle engine, i mentioned the pistons ect. because i wanted to know if they were the main factor, if they were, i wouldn't have done anything, it was more to do with information about there aids. and i'd rather be na to be honest. turbos are the easiest power but too much hassle to have it fitted in properly on a daily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im looking to get a civic next year (ej9) although after reading through threads, this one especially, im not sure on a civic now :(
In an ideal world i'd love a 1.6 or 1.8 but for an 18 year old guy and only having 1 and a bit years no claims its just not possible.

I was considering an ej9 and going for...
Full exhaust system (mani-back)preferibly lightweight, tewiga cf intake, lightweight alloys

So id gain a small amount of bhp from exhaust whilest loosing some weight also

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would still get a civic mate, defo the best car for mods and quick compared to other 1.4's! And the tuning potential for when you can afford the insurance is great. Check out the mini me conversions under the engine thread. Mine is just a 1.4 with full exhaust and manifold with coil overs and it handles amazing!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yea i would still get a civic, i loved my ej9

·
Registered
18 Posts
japschool craig said:
I would still get a civic mate, defo the best car for mods and quick compared to other 1.4's! And the tuning potential for when you can afford the insurance is great. Check out the mini me conversions under the engine thread. Mine is just a 1.4 with full exhaust and manifold with coil overs and it handles amazing!
Anyone ive spoke to says "there fun" "great cars" ... But compared to other 1.4s there slowww
For example a corsa 1.4 is dohc giving it a lil more grunt so in a straight the corsa would win? I disagreed due to the fact a civic reving upto 8k? Although i sort of see where people are coming from so its sort of making me unsure

·
Registered
403 Posts
josh897 said:
My old ej9 keeps up with my ep2 both with 4-1/decat/catback/filter, doubt you can really squeeze much more out unless you fired on a z6 inlet and ported out the head but then you would want to map it, seems weird you want to do all this stuff but not map it:s thats like buying a kid a bike and not teaching them how to use it
you also want to keep cost down but your considering pistons/conrods/cams etc?? Honestly if you want cheap power? Buy an ebay turbo kit, swap the turbo for a good second hand turbo and have it on low boost
That's weird. A standard EJ9 is 11.2 secs 0-60 with an EP2 like 10 secs. My EP2 is the prefacelift so it's 9.9 :D

I had an MB2 sport (same 1.4 engine as an EJ9 give or take 1-2 bhp) and it was much slower than an EP2.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts